Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-08-2013, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
I think hourly pay works against you. Let's say you've become really efficient and finally have top notch equipment. You're able to do a large amount of work in a small amount of time. Customers imagine a job will take alot longer than what it will be. If you know how to price, you can get them to commit to a figure for the whole job. If you do it really quick (alot less time than what they thought); that's just tough for them. You already have an agreement. I can see how a jacked up rate may help you. To me, it seems like if i do a job quickly, i'm going to get paid less. I'm not saying my way is right; it's just right for me. I think a price in the beginning also protects the customer. What if a worker decides to drag ass, and then bill the customer for it?
Its like this, I do a leaf job for a customer once a year, done it for 5 years now. It took the home woner literally his weeks vacation to do it. It takes me 2 hours, hes happy to pay me 150$.

Ive done some odd stuff in the off season for customers by the hour, only because I know the people and really have know idea the job will take.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Not to bust anyones bubble but customers percieve 40$ per hour to clean leaves is a ripoff. Emergency Room Docs only make 50$ to 60$ per hour.

I would never price something by the hour unless I know the people real well.
Exactly right on one point and wrong another. People do think 40$ an hour is high for leaf clean up work. This why I mainly do leaf cleanups for lawn customers only. Spot on, Larry.

Emergency room surgeons make alot more than $50 an hour.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2013, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If I was still using a rake for leaves, like when I started, I would not be able to charge $5/hr and still have a reasonable price... Every time I get a larger blower, the price could actually go down a little bit andit could go even faster if I had a sensible way of loading the truck...

The guy that said you're paid for efficiency by use of top notch equipment, not solely by time, has it exactly right...
Old 01-08-2013, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

hey if you can get that kind of money then more power to you. it's not about being lazy it's about being smart. i don't only work 4hrs a day. i'm not gonna spend more than 4hrs and one job per day. the biggest yard i have is 3 acres and i'm done in 2 1/2 hrs. i don't need anything bigger than that solo.

around here noone would pay anything near that price or $1800. the biggest paying leaf job i got was $125 here. it took 2 1/2 hrs. that's all people are willing to pay here. most of them just let it go and don't even get leaf cleanup where i live.

Last edited by weeze; 01-08-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know any 'facts' about this situation but it could possibly be considered a crime for writing a bad check. Is 400 dollars worth the trouble of fighting it? Probably not. You might try using it as leverage to recoup some of the money. 200 bucks is better than 0.

Not to be harsh, but common sense should have taken over and given them some type of ball park range before you started. Many people don't have 400 dollars in their checking account for an extraneous expense like leaf cleanup.

When taking on a new customer and the has the potential to go over 200 dollars, you should give them a heads to see if they even have the money.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSO LAWNEN4CER View Post
Here's what I'm dealing with.The property owner lets her daughter handle her finances.The daughter calls a gives the green light to start the job.Shes asked if I billed hourly.I said yes.I start this past friday.I finish up today.
the total was 14.5hrs. So the mother & daughter meet me at the property this AM. The daughter says when your done,just tell my mother she will give you a check.So I finish up this afternoon. I give the bill/hrs worked and the mother goes into orbit.Sayn she can't afford the bill. She thought it was gonna be in the $30.00 range.(I'm not a 12yr old with a rake)

After talking to the mother,she gives me a check for the bill.Well 2hrs later the daughter leaves a message sayn she stoped payment on the check.How would some of you handle this situation?
my hourly rate is $35 per man hour.

as for handling the situation I would sent a letter snail mail informing them they have 14 days from the date of the letter to send payment or I reserve the right to use lawyers, liens, small claims court or collection agencies to collect any unpaid balances.

then I would sit back and go about my business.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Here's what I'm dealing with.The property owner lets her daughter handle her finances.The daughter calls a gives the green light to start the job.Shes asked if I billed hourly.I said yes.I start this past friday.I finish up today.
the total was 14.5hrs. So the mother & daughter meet me at the property this AM. The daughter says when your done,just tell my mother she will give you a check.So I finish up this afternoon. I give the bill/hrs worked and the mother goes into orbit.Sayn she can't afford the bill. She thought it was gonna be in the $30.00 range.(I'm not a 12yr old with a rake)

After talking to the mother,she gives me a check for the bill.Well 2hrs later the daughter leaves a message sayn she stoped payment on the check.How would some of you handle this situation?
Wow she only thought the bill would be $30 what a dumb b^^^h. Your screwed on that one I think. Sounds like white trash to me. I would have given a estimate to her first. I give estimates to all new customers before a job starts. Normal maint. customers of mine don't even ask me for a price on there cleanups anymore which is nice because they know I'm fair with them every year. And I get cleanups like you on a constant basis in the fall my crew of 3 guys does about 2 big cleanups a day, ton's of leaves around my area. Good luck to you on getting your money, let us know how you make out.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Small claims court, you should have a cut and dried case if they didn't ask for an estimate. They also cannot get away with writing you a ck and then stopping payment on it....the judge will frown heavily at that. As long as your pricing is anywhere around reasonable, I think you've got an "open and shut" case.

Last edited by StanWilhite; 01-08-2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-08-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
Small claims court, ...., I think you've got an "open and shut" case.

From what we read, it sounds that way. Despite getting a favorable ruling from the "open and shut case," the OP may never get paid. A favorable ruling is only that -- collections is beyond that, outside the judge's ruling. I think that is where the case now resides -- not being able to collect.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post

Emergency room surgeons make alot more than $50 an hour.
Posted via Mobile Device
When they get paid. They may charge much more than $50/hr, but so much of the ER work is for non-payers, the doc may get nothing. Supplying the service is part of the obligation of the hospital.

... sorry, not to derail the thread, .... carry on.