Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-08-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
Yeah. I had it right at one point but then I guess some lines changed or got screwed up somehow and I never remember to fix it and at that point I'm just trying to get my taxes out, try to merge and it messes up and I say, OK, next year I'll fix it, lol.
Just double check your chart of accounts and you should likely have an account for every line on the schedule C

Not everything maps however nor should it.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if any one said this and I'm not trying to be a jerk but since you are getting 30 calls a day, it seems to me that you could raise your prices. Pick up new accounts that pay more and slowly weed out the ones that are low.

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 01-31-2013, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Member

If I was getting 30 calls a day this is what I'd do....

Buy a couple used S10's, put your logo on the side. The S10's wont eat tons of gas and can still haul a small trailer/mower just fine. Find a couple small 6x10 or 6x12 trailers, purchase another hydro 36" and a couple push mowers. Hire a couple guys at $9-10/hour.

I don't see any reason each guy shouldn't be able to do 12 lawns a day by himself.

So for example now you have 3 trucks out mowing 12 lawns each day Mon-Fri.

3 trucks x 12 lawns = 36 lawns per day

36 lawns x $25 = $900.00 per day gross income

Wages: 2 employees x $10 an hour x 8 Hours = $160 per day.

Gas/Misc Expenses: $200.00 per day (strictly a safe guess, but much more than you say you spend a day.)

Your daily estimated operating costs are around $360 per day and you gross $900.00 per day give or take. This leaves you with a net profit of around [B]$540.00 per day.[B]

You could even hire a 3rd worker to run your truck, sit at home and watch the price is right and still pocket over $400 a day.

I realize there are other numbers/costs and variables, insurance, etc.. to figure in, this is just an example of another way to think about making your business more productive and profitable since acquiring accounts doesn't seem like an issue.

Good Luck!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

[QUOTE=SomervilleLawncare;4661251]If I was getting 30 calls a day this is what I'd do....

Buy a couple used S10's, put your logo on the side. The S10's wont eat tons of gas and can still haul a small trailer/mower just fine. Find a couple small 6x10 or 6x12 trailers, purchase another hydro 36" and a couple push mowers. Hire a couple guys at $9-10/hour.
QUOTE]

Those guys for $9-10 an hour are the last people I would hand a route to and say have at it. I'm sure it works for some people but my luck would be the 30 calls a day would be complaints about the quality of work my employees were providing my customers .
Old 01-31-2013, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

maybe I should move to Maine if the starting wage to work for an LCO is higher than $10 an hour.

I don't have employees now but I always talk about what if I did or the what ifs when hiring someone. I sure don't plan on starting there pay any more than $10 per hour.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You say that until you see the guys who show up for the $9 PH jobs. We start new guys at $10 - $12. We tried at $9 but the guys who showed up were burnouts or job jumpers. If you want to make the move we have a PT opening starting out at $11.50 for 20-35 hours a week
Old 01-31-2013, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

thanks for the offer but if I move anywhere its gonna be FL.....maybe go work for diamond or something....haha
Old 01-31-2013, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
$25 a lawn is a little low but I do have properties that pay $35 or so. Also my issue isnt getting the jobs either. I turn down tons of work because theres simply not enough hours in a day.

As for equipment I have all I need to run solo. I only use 36in mowers because mostly all ny properties have gates and they also are all less than 1/2 acre. Most are 10000sq feet or less but few are bigger.

Now I would be using an additional 36in walk behind so two mowers at once.

I know I couldnt do over 15 a day with help because of the dtiving unless i got a really tight route which takes time.

Getting more work isnt hard at all. So I know I would be covered in that sense.

Im just scared to mess up a friendship since he's a close friend and needs the cash. At the same time I want to watch out for myself.
Posted via Mobile Device
I've never scheduled less then 12 a day solo. NONE of them were as low as 25 bucks. Why cut yourself short?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

the min per cut varies from location to location. it's not cutting yourself short if that's where your market is in your neck of the woods.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

$12 an hour....

Can't you find someone that will work for food? That's what I did till he ran over the clients dog with a mower!

I agree good work is hard to find, ever think of paying someone by the work they completed? Salesman work off commission, why can't a laborer? Maybe a bonus at the end of the month for NO injuries, damages, etc.