Register free!

Old 01-03-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Are these systems using language similar to that of smart lights and dimmer panels used in theater lighting?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2013, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Are these systems using language similar to that of smart lights and dimmer panels used in theater lighting?
That would be DMX, I believe. Unlikely.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Member

It's not for everyone, but there is a market for just about anything.

I recently finished a 160 light LUXOR ZD system for a client and he was thrilled, so there you go.

Also, just look at all those billable hours sitting down and programming the fixtures, setting up the groups, programming each transformer etc. etc. If you're not charging for all that time, you're a numbskull. If they don't want to pay you for that time, they're a numbskull (and too cheap for this system). And most of this can be done in the shop instead of in the field. Bonus!
Andy Thomas CLVLT #1058 COLD #1321
Owner, Viewpoint Lighting
www.ViewpointLighting.com
Old 01-08-2013, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberkc View Post
That would be DMX, I believe. Unlikely.
Yes you are correct. I wouldn't think it would be the same language but similar technology.

Are these systems powered through the same 2 wires carrying signal, if so this would be a very powerful and versatile system?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Yes you are correct. I wouldn't think it would be the same language but similar technology.

Are these systems powered through the same 2 wires carrying signal, if so this would be a very powerful and versatile system?
DMX is controlled via dedicated communications wiring. These individual fixtures appear to be controlled via the 12V power lines. I would liken this more to X-10, insteon, or UPB, except this appears to communicate via 12V rather than 120V power lines.

The only thing similar, in my mind, is that both DMX and this new FX system allow one to control individual fixtures. The underlying technology appears quite different, to me.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think it is similar to the decoder system used in Hunter's irrigation controllers (with a big upgrade though). It communicates through the same 12v power lines that power it.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 01-08-2013, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Has anyone priced out a luxor system yet, and compared to using a UPB system with standard transformer and cabling?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Steve, there is no real point in trying to compare the FX luxor to a 'standard' system controlled by UPB. It would be like comparing apples to spaghetti, they are both food but that is where the similarity ends.

As I understand it the Luxor system allows you to control individual fixtures, and groups of fixtures, all powered from the same transformer and even allows you to set different dimming levels at the fixture and group level. Then it ties all of this into a controller that allows for switching/timing/sequencing of those fixtures, groups, etc.

There is no way a standard system using UBP can offer you all of these features.

The only downside from my perspective is that you are tied into using 100% FX integrated LED fixtures, which I am sure are pretty good, but perhaps not all things to all people.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 01-08-2013, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

James is correct, there is no comparison between the two. The fixtures are pretty darn good too. They're LED bullet light (for heft) is right up there with CAST. I don't know the IP rating for the fixtures, but I believe the drivers and components are all fully encapsulated and sealed. I am anxious to try the system. It takes the right client though.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 01-08-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

That's all fine, but my question still stands.

I had the same questions come up with ABT v Simply Automated. I know they are different products, different performance levels, but people still compared price to price.

Just trying to gauge if the fx system is something that people will see the value in or if it is pricing itself out of the picture.