Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-08-2013, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSO LAWNEN4CER View Post
Here's what I'm dealing with.The property owner lets her daughter handle her finances.The daughter calls a gives the green light to start the job.Shes asked if I billed hourly.I said yes.I start this past friday.I finish up today.
the total was 14.5hrs. So the mother & daughter meet me at the property this AM. The daughter says when your done,just tell my mother she will give you a check.So I finish up this afternoon. I give the bill/hrs worked and the mother goes into orbit.Sayn she can't afford the bill. She thought it was gonna be in the $30.00 range.(I'm not a 12yr old with a rake)

After talking to the mother,she gives me a check for the bill.Well 2hrs later the daughter leaves a message sayn she stoped payment on the check.How would some of you handle this situation?
Go to the local sheriffs office or the magistrate to take legal action against them for canceling the check for work services rendered,it will get resolved.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Up-date

We guys go it all ironed out today.Talked with the daughter this AM. She's gonna break the bill up into two payments.One mailed this AM and the other next week. She handles her mother finances because her mother is in the early stages of dementia,and gets confused. So it worked out pretty well. And she did say the property looks a ton better than it did.

When she called I took the approach of its a easy fix,no need to get nasty about the situation. So I asked her what would be the best for her at this time.Kinda putting the ball in her court. She said I'll mail you a check today,and the rest next week. I told her that will work.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Famous last words "the check will be in the mail tomorrow"

Just keep an eye out as many people say this with no intention of paying
Old 01-08-2013, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
Famous last words "the check will be in the mail tomorrow"

Just keep an eye out as many people say this with no intention of paying
I still have the $500 check just in case I need proof that work was done.When the final check clears,I'll shredd the check.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm familiar with customers with dementia. I lost a customer because he said that he paid me, and i had to tell him that he didn't. I really thought the wife would understand what was going on, but she automatically took his side, and told me to leave.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
So you land a leaf clean up job.The leaves haven't been touch all season.The property is a mess. You as a solo get with owners and they tell you what they want done. They give you the green light to start. The total job takes you 14.5 hr Whats your bill for the customer?

14.5 hrs.
4 gallons of 2cycle mix.
Gutter cleaning.
Wrong answer.
You need to have agreed on a total before you started.

Quote:
Here's what I'm dealing with.The property owner lets her daughter handle her finances.The daughter calls a gives the green light to start the job.Shes asked if I billed hourly.I said yes.I start this past friday.I finish up today.
the total was 14.5hrs. So the mother & daughter meet me at the property this AM. The daughter says when your done,just tell my mother she will give you a check.So I finish up this afternoon. I give the bill/hrs worked and the mother goes into orbit.Sayn she can't afford the bill. She thought it was gonna be in the $30.00 range.(I'm not a 12yr old with a rake)

After talking to the mother,she gives me a check for the bill.Well 2hrs later the daughter leaves a message sayn she stoped payment on the check.How would some of you handle this situation?
You screwed up, of course they thought it was going to be in the $30 range,
I completely understand the customer's position, $500 for 15 hours, man
you are crazy I wouldn't pay you either!

It's your fault!
*** YOU FAILED TO AGREE ON A PRICE BEFORE YOU STARTED!!! ***

What you are doing now in ways of getting paid borders on extortion and strong armed robbery.
People like you are giving this Industry a bad name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Can we presume this event did not happen? The title is "hypothetical," which means the situation has been framed as something that could happen, but did not. If it did happen as stated, then it is not "hypothetical," rather reality.
We could presume, except that reading this thread I have every reason to believe it did happen,
the fact the title includes the word hypothetical really isn't helping either.

I'm all fired up so even if it were hypothetical it was a bad idea for a thread.

Last edited by herler; 01-08-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Glad that at least a verbal arrangement was met, in all hopes the daughters word is good. After all is said and done. How long did it take for this yard to get to a 14.5hr. clean up job? Maybe look at this job predicament as a sell and try to get a possible route from this client. Using the confusion of payment on this one clean up job as a catalyst to make more negotiable money from the situation. Sell the preventative maintenance fees that come along from routine yard care. The daughter wants to care, so use that.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

In my hypothetical I get paid my max price and the lady of the house is lonely
Old 01-09-2013, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
In my hypothetical I get paid my max price and the lady of the house is lonely
Did you trim her bush?
Old 01-09-2013, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Member

GSO, it sounds as if the daughter is now the care giver to the mother and home. Sell to her and not the mother, the importance of regular upkeep and that routine maintenance will prevent future high cost clean ups and provide a beautiful yard year round. Not just once a year, because it has to be done. This assuming that this is the case(no current routine care). Separating yourself from the negative first impression of payment negotiation. See how you can make the situation pull into a possible financial profit with a routine maintenance account year round. Both you and the client win...