Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-31-2012, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Please critique my website

I am looking for you guys to give me a website critique. My wife put it together and I am looking for things that we can improve on.

Thanks

www.greenleaftturf.com

www.greenleafturf.com
Old 12-31-2012, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Couple quick thoughts:

Nice clean design. The slider does a good job of conveying what you do. Are all the pictures of your projects? One or two of the pictures seem a little blurry- but the rest are good.

I am guessing that you are still fleshing out the content- it seems a little light. For example, your "About" page could certainly tell us more about you.

Trust. More pictures, including one of you, and more detailed explanations of your services will help build trust.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

1. the first link you give has the domain misspelled.

2. I'm still waiting, as I type this for the correct domain to actually load..

3. Overall first glance I like the look of it.

4. Sorry, have to say it, it is PAINFULLY slow, now waiting for "About" page to load. And I know it isn't me, I'm trying to have other services such as http://gtmetrix.com/ try to look at your site, and it is erroring out for the response taking too long.

Ok, GT finally got the site to load, from it's report (http://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.gree...f.com/LFjQbfAL Under the Breaddown heading, choose "TimeLine") it took 21 seconds before the server even started feeding out the source code for the page (browser was sitting there at a blank window without even a "Title" displaying) It was a total of 52 seconds for the entire page to fully load.

Seriously this is something that needs looked into first thing. Google now factors in page load. Most people will be hitting their back button before then to get back to search results/directory listing thinking the site is dead.

I just tried some of the other sites on the same server as you (can be found at http://ip.robtex.com/66.96.146.92.html ) and while still slow on load times, they are no where near the slowness of your site at the time I'm trying to visit. What is the difference between the ones I happened to hit? Your site is on a Windows Server, and all the ones I did try going to are using Windows Servers's native language and most likely MS's SQL Server, where you are running wordpress which uses PHP/mySQL.

When I had to contact Webhost4Life for a client who hosted with them, the person I got was halfway decent, so you may want to ask them about the slowness.

I'll take another look later, as right now it is too painful to navigate

-Greg

PS, I just went to close domain listing I had opened for your site, and as I was about to close it, noticed a funny thing: The client I had that also used the same hosting company you do, is from same area as you.

Last edited by greg8872; 12-31-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks! this is what I am looking for. This is what I need to make it better. I thought it was slow also but didn't know if it was just my computer. I will check with them and see. I agree that not many people are going to sit there and wait for it to load.

Thanks

I was not able to edit the first link. Let me know if there is someway to do it. The Edit button was not on there.

www.greenleafturf.com
Old 12-31-2012, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I hung in there while it loaded. Yikes. First thing that came to mind was whether you purchased the theme from Themeforest or acquired it from another source. That one is floating around a ton of pirate sites, often having malware/backdoor scripts in them. (Just did a quick scan for malicious scripts and was told it was just scanned by someone else...and it's timing out trying to connect. I'll assume that was Greg. lol). Alternatively, your host has serious issues.

Logo: flat color shouldn't be saved as a jpg, which is why it's grainy. Your original needs to be saved as a gif or png. jpg is for photographic images.

SEO: Judging from the home page, you need to work on the various, basic SEO elements. Download the Yoast SEO or All-in-One SEO plugin for WP and that will help you get started. You'll also want to read Google's SEO Starter Guide and SEOmoz's. Create Google and Bing Webmaster accounts, and you're off and running.

Really all I can offer now due to the site load issues. When you get that sorted out, just yell.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good to see Tony has chimed in. Don't get discouraged! Make some basic tweaks and bring it back to us. The guys on this board have been helping me for over a year!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2012, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just got a couple of other pages to load.

I'd suggest playing with the main content's font size, as well as going a darker shade of gray (lighter shade of black? ) You have a lot of content on the pages, but reading it is a bit of a visual chore.

Be careful with duplicate content. Your site has a fair amount that's been sourced from elsewhere, with much of what I'm seeing coming from a West Coast LCO. (editorial: I don't know if this is becoming more of an issue or if it's because I've now added it in to my site review checklist that I notice it's prevalence. My guess is, the latter.)

And the more I look, the more this is shaping up like the review I recently did that I asked to have removed by the mods. I spent a ton of time doing a thorough review for a member that was nothing but stolen/borrowed/appropriated/whatever content. For example, the picture of the McMansion on http://www.greenleafturf.com/index.p...lawn-bed-care/ still has it's original file name via this site: http://www.hoffmanslawncare.com/millcreek-lawn-care-ut/

Oh, boy...
Old 12-31-2012, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I will check on all the pics and wording to me sure we are not doing anything wrong legally. Thanks for all of the advice, this is exactly what I was looking for.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-09-2013, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The site isn't even loading for me.