Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2013, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerIn503 View Post
GSO, it sounds as if the daughter is now the care giver to the mother and home. Sell to her and not the mother, the importance of regular upkeep and that routine maintenance will prevent future high cost clean ups and provide a beautiful yard year round. Not just once a year, because it has to be done. This assuming that this is the case(no current routine care). Separating yourself from the negative first impression of payment negotiation. See how you can make the situation pull into a possible financial profit with a routine maintenance account year round. Both you and the client win...
Already have,she wants me to clean up and up keep till the house sells.They are gonna put it on the market this summer.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

GSO, I think you handled the situation correctly. Hopefully you will receive payment with no problem. Life is a learning experience, and although I always THINK I have made all the mistakes at least once, new ones continue to crop up. Next time you will realize you need to give people some idea of the costs involved before you start a job to avoid a problem on down the road.

I also don't think you were out of line with your fee, which works out to about $35 per hour. If I were mowing for 14.5 hours, I would expect to get roughly twice that much.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
I'm familiar with customers with dementia. I lost a customer because he said that he paid me, and i had to tell him that he didn't. I really thought the wife would understand what was going on, but she automatically took his side, and told me to leave.
I mowed one summer for a gentleman who was apparently in the early stages of Alzheimer's. I realized it after he would tell me a story, then repeat the same story 5 minutes later without realizing he had already told me.

Anyway, a week or so after the last mow, he stops by the house and tries to pay me. Again. I had a little trouble convincing him he had already paid me. I can certainly see how this could go the other way as well. In hindsight, if you are dealing with anyone you think might have a mental deficiency, it is probably a good idea to document each and every transaction in writing.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nevermind. This guy ain't worth it.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
From what we read, it sounds that way. Despite getting a favorable ruling from the "open and shut case," the OP may never get paid. A favorable ruling is only that -- collections is beyond that, outside the judge's ruling. I think that is where the case now resides -- not being able to collect.
If he gets a favorable ruling and stays after the court they can freeze the defendant's bank account and do other things to encourage payment.

I went thru basically the same deal but fortunately for me one of my very closest friend was a circuit judge in the same county. He gave me a little advice that worked out really well. You just have to stay at it and not let it be forgotten....by the court, or the other party.
Good luck!

Last edited by StanWilhite; 01-09-2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-09-2013, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, you should have given an estimate before starting work. My book rate is $60/hr but I'll discount it to $50 if I don't need to involve my mowers and it's after I'm done with my regulars. You should be able to give an estimate plus or minus 20%.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just sayin'...

Would have loved to see some before & after pics...

A season's worth of leaves would likely kill/smother some turf.

Had you cleaned up this yard 4 times @$125/visit...would you have saved some time over all?
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 01-09-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
Would have loved to see some before & after pics...

A season's worth of leaves would likely kill/smother some turf.

Had you cleaned up this yard 4 times @$125/visit...would you have saved some time over all?
Your right.The leaves killed pretty much the whole back yard.Nothing but mud under the leaves.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSO LAWNEN4CER View Post
How? You dont know how long its gonna take!
A professional would, at least within an hour or so. Estimating accurately is a big part of the job. And unless it's the Taj Mahal, you need better equipment and techniques to be competitive. 14.5 hours is a lot of time.

If you're going to do your OTJ training with paying customers, expect some hiccups. But start with providing your rates up front, in writing, and getting a contract signed if it's for a substantial amount. Even if they were willing to agree to an open-ended pricing scheme, there should be a meeting of the minds as to the general price range expected.

At $35/hour you're still way below what it takes to make a decent profit.

As for the bill, it's probably illegal to stop payment on a check given as payment for services. You might inquire about that if they don't pay up.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoT View Post
A professional would, at least within an hour or so. Estimating accurately is a big part of the job. And unless it's the Taj Mahal, you need better equipment and techniques to be competitive. 14.5 hours is a lot of time.

If you're going to do your OTJ training with paying customers, expect some hiccups. But start with providing your rates up front, in writing, and getting a contract signed if it's for a substantial amount. Even if they were willing to agree to an open-ended pricing scheme, there should be a meeting of the minds as to the general price range expected.

At $35/hour you're still way below what it takes to make a decent profit.

As for the bill, it's probably illegal to stop payment on a check given as payment for services. You might inquire about that if they don't pay up.
you have no idea what his market bears to be saying $35 per man hour is way under to make a profit.

in my area the going rate is roughly just that $35 per man hour.

guys who make statements like that kind of get on my nerves considering every location has a different market. talking about prices in your market does no good to him unless he's in your market.

the market ain't the same everywhere bud......