Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-08-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

2013 Drought Busters

What is it going to take to break your drought. We broke ours in 2012 while others fell into one. We slipped back into one late 2012 but early 2013 we have has some good rains.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

June got hot and dry for us. Had record rainfall first two weeks of July of all times. Closed out 2012 above normal in rainfall with 9" in December alone. Forecast of 4-6" of rain this weekend. Still trying to get a handful of leaf cleanups done as well as mow some winter ryegrass and trim some bushes.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Member

SW Ohio is on the edge of the drought. This winter we've been getting some precipitation, maybe enough to "technically" pull us out of drought conditions.

But if the precipitation don't fall in the growing season it doesn't help me any.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
What is it going to take to break your drought. We broke ours in 2012 while others fell into one. We slipped back into one late 2012 but early 2013 we have has some good rains.
It's wierd we are so close but yet far apart on rain. All this rain that moved into Texas yesterday and they are showing we have less than a quarter of a inch. We just keep getting the drizzle but I'll take whatever we can get.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well it seemed most of the recent rains were all around us too. Maybe you will get yours soon.
Where does your public water come from?

I heard some of our area lakes were down 7 or so feet around christmas so I was getting concerned
Old 01-09-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro 455 View Post
SW Ohio is on the edge of the drought. This winter we've been getting some precipitation, maybe enough to "technically" pull us out of drought conditions.

But if the precipitation don't fall in the growing season it doesn't help me any.
Where in sw ohio are you at?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-09-2013, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think they say our water source lake is down 50% and that was because of little rain in 2011. While we got moderate rain in 2012 the lake only went up a very small amount. Water for rice farming downstream from us was cut off and will stay off this year. We are on a restricted once a week watering with small numbers of hours. The greenes took advantage of the situation and watering restrictions will remain for a long time. Water prices are around $300 per month across the 8 months we water.

On better note we got some of the rain the last couple days...projected to be 6" but won't even be close to that, unless something cuts lose tonite.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball9074 View Post
Where in sw ohio are you at?
Posted via Mobile Device
Clinton County (Wilmington), but I've had mowing contracts in Cincy, Dayton, Springfield. I quit all that driving and just stay in Clinton County now.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
First I ever heard that. It just reminds me how different the conditions are that we work in.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Well it seemed most of the recent rains were all around us too. Maybe you will get yours soon.

I heard some of our area lakes were down 7 or so feet around christmas so I was getting concerned
At my residence in Callisburg we have two or three wells and the school has its own well.
Gainesville has both wells and surface water. I forget how many wells the city has and the surface water comes from Moss lake. The thing that troubles me is the fact Gainesville never has water restrictions. I talked with them in 2011 when everybody around was going on some type of restrictions and their answer to me was "we have plenty of water and we are in the business of selling water".