Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2013, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Member

What Amsoil brand to use in 4 stroke equipment???

Just wondering if anyone uses Amsoil oils and which one is the best to use...

The 10W-30?

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...tic-motor-oil/

Or the AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke Small Engine Oil?

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...ll-engine-oil/

The 10W-30 is $7.85/Quart and the SAE 30 4-stroke is $6.40/quart.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I would go for the small engine formula. I just ordered a case of it along the saber and oils for my truck. I keep the small engine oil in my mowers and such
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-10-2013, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been using the ASE 10-30/30wt for the past two seasons in all of my 4-stroke equipment with very good results. The UOA showed that the oil was still in nearly new condition after 144 hours in my ZTR with a Kohler engine (600+ hours).
I know the stuff is expensive, but, the results of the UOA give me peace of mind so, it is worth it for me.
Also, I use their Saber 2-stroke oil (80:1) with very good results.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Forgot this in my previous post, because of the viscosity rating, it allows me to use one oil to satisfy the requirements for both my Kohler and Kawasaki engines. One less oil to have to stock on the shelf.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balms View Post
I have been using the ASE 10-30/30wt for the past two seasons in all of my 4-stroke equipment with very good results. The UOA showed that the oil was still in nearly new condition after 144 hours in my ZTR with a Kohler engine (600+ hours).
I know the stuff is expensive, but, the results of the UOA give me peace of mind so, it is worth it for me.
Also, I use their Saber 2-stroke oil (80:1) with very good results.

Hope this helps.

How often do you change your oil?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I am a solo operator with more equipment than I need so my WB' s get changed once a season (oil and filter). The ZTR will be 150 hour OCI after seeing the results of the oil analysis. FWIW, have yet to add oil between changes, the level stays at the top mark. Owning the equipment that you operate makes a difference. Also, all of my equipment was purchased used (except trimmers and BP blower), the newest being the 06 Lazer.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I am a solo operator with more equipment than I need so my WB' s get changed once a season (oil and filter). The ZTR will be 150 hour OCI after seeing the results of the oil analysis. FWIW, have yet to add oil between changes, the level stays at the top mark. Owning the equipment that you operate makes a difference. Also, all of my equipment was purchased used (except trimmers and BP blower), the newest being the 06 Lazer.
I'm doing the same thing you are, going solo. I also bought my exmark WB used and my trimmer and blower new. Where did you get your oil analysis test? I can't find it on the amsoil website.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I have used Blackstone Labs. Google them. Also, lots of lubricant information on Bobistheoilguy.com. They can be found on BITOG also.
I just had an analysis done a month ago, $25.00 for the basic test, $10.00 additional for a more comprehensive battery of tests. I have had end of season tests done for the last two years.
This years test was more informational for the Amsoil performance as there was no residual conventional oil in the engine from the previous oil changes. As I said before, the oil tested out very well.

I see you are from CT so we may have similar experiences and conditions and you are a solo operator also.

Do you do snow removal? I am fortunate enough to be able to spend the winter in FL to avoid that. Also gives me time to check out the dealers down here, some of them are massive, can't believe the quantity and variety of equipment under one roof. One that I go to, the Stihl display alone is bigger than my dealers showroom, parts dept. and shop all together.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I have used Blackstone Labs. Google them. Also, lots of lubricant information on Bobistheoilguy.com. They can be found on BITOG also.
I just had an analysis done a month ago, $25.00 for the basic test, $10.00 additional for a more comprehensive battery of tests. I have had end of season tests done for the last two years.
This years test was more informational for the Amsoil performance as there was no residual conventional oil in the engine from the previous oil changes. As I said before, the oil tested out very well.

I see you are from CT so we may have similar experiences and conditions and you are a solo operator also.

Do you do snow removal? I am fortunate enough to be able to spend the winter in FL to avoid that. Also gives me time to check out the dealers down here, some of them are massive, can't believe the quantity and variety of equipment under one roof. One that I go to, the Stihl display alone is bigger than my dealers showroom, parts dept. and shop all together.
Up here in CT we don't have dealers like that. Maye a handful of good ones. I have 4 snow removal accounts and that's all that I can handle with a 13hp 30inch snowblower. One of them takes me 2 hours to clear but it pays well. I plan on getting a plow for my Tundra within a few years. But I don't rely on snow to pay the bills. Anything I make from snow is bonus plus it keeps me busy in the winter.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Newington insn't that far from me, I am in the Albany area. My son does snow removal here, needless to say last winter was pretty lean for him as he does count on snow for income. This year started out good but has really died off again.
I actually purchased one of my used mowers, off eBay, from a guy in Bradford. A mid 90's 48" Exmark. It's been a solid money maker for me with a small investment.