Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-06-2013, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Echo Stick Edgers

I am currently bidding a job that has about 500' of edging to be done next to a raised concrete curb. The property has been edged late last year and still looks pretty good.I have a good Echo and Stihl dealer locally but little else. Could someone please offer advice as to what model of these brands that would be suitable for the scale of usage I am doing.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Either brand is fine. My advice would be to buy the strongest or best engine when buying a stick edger. We have a redmax 3060. I say the best engine because you may have to go through some thick sod or overhang and the better engine will help accomplish this. It may cost a little more but trust me it will save you time and get better results. They'll last longer too. We use ours alot on bed edging. We weed wack to outline our edge and then use the stick edger to help define it and cut into the edge and then we use the spade to make a good cut. On a slight angle. Of course Love the stick edger. Saves a lot of room!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I have used Echo in the past. As they wear out I am replacing them with Stihl. I currently have the FC-110. The engine is big enough to get through some sod, yet not too heavy. If there is a lot of sod, it is pushing the limits of this engine but I didnt want to go to the weight of the 130 engine. The Fc-110 works very well for me. It is the 4-cycle hybrid engine and I like them a lot. Yes you have to set the valves, but they start great and last a long time. My two cents and I am sure you will find those that like Echo best.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Echo Stick Edgers

Both are good like above get a bigger engine and it'll work better for you.
I personally use a dedicated sidewalk edger tanaka but thats what i like.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe74 View Post
Both are good like above get a bigger engine and it'll work better for you.
I personally use a dedicated sidewalk edger tanaka but thats what i like.
I'm not sure he needs a edger at all if the concrete is "raised" from the sod. The blade will never get low enough to cut properly. Sounds like he'd have to use a string trimmer over a stick edger if the concrete is raised.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
I'm not sure he needs a edger at all if the concrete is "raised" from the sod. The blade will never get low enough to cut properly. Sounds like he'd have to use a string trimmer over a stick edger if the concrete is raised.
Ya, pics would help...
Old 01-08-2013, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

this is one area that echo excles in. their stick edger is comfortable to use and the wheel is much more durable than sthil
Old 01-09-2013, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy dan View Post
this is one area that echo excles in. their stick edger is comfortable to use and the wheel is much more durable than sthil
I don't know dan I tried to use one we bought last year on a raised media between streets with curbs. I though my arms and back were forever damaged. I can string edge but no way will I ever go back to trying to edge with an edger. Oh this is probably about a mile of edging.