Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-07-2013, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

TGCL going hourly?

Talked to a buddy who still works for tru green and the branch he works at is going straight hourly with time and a half.. No more commission driven production.

Anyone else hear anything?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know that the guy that was doing our accounts from Trugreen quit after many years with them. He indicated he would have to work many more hous to get same income.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yes, i know some who still work at trugreen in atlanta area. they started the hourly thing last year for the first time i can ever remember. and it was also the first time in i can remember where they did seasonal layoffs over here. most of those guys have been laid off till february. also heard that the family insurance was 250 a week, which is crazy because they never paid all that well.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So this is a nationwide deal?

When I was there it would have killed my buzz too. I was a heavy producer and always got out by 1:30 or so.

But overall I think it's a great decision on their behalf.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
yes, i know some who still work at trugreen in atlanta area. they started the hourly thing last year for the first time i can ever remember. and it was also the first time in i can remember where they did seasonal layoffs over here. most of those guys have been laid off till february. also heard that the family insurance was 250 a week, which is crazy because they never paid all that well. the only guys that maid money were the guys that where "ghosting" lawns.
Na. I used to make 1000 to 1300 a week and never worked past 1:30 and worked with a guy who was the number one producer in the country and he was always gone by noon.

It can be done without ghosting.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is interesting. They just started bombarding my area with a new branch.. Selling Lawns at 20K sqft for like 48.00 they gotta cut costs somewhere... lol
Old 01-09-2013, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

So they opened a branch in your area?

They have been running the whole state of Arkansas out of a single branch in North Little Rock/ Sherwood. I guess the cost of diesel fuel was killing them with that strategy.

I didn't see much of them this past season in my area. They've lost a lot of business around here.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I always heard a common phrase around my branch that i never liked.. and it was "if the customer wasn't home, they were giving us $30.00" lol. I really don't know much about what the guys are taking home there now, i just know what i left making and it wasn't much... i used to gross about 1000 a week in the early 90's, routes were tight as a gnats behind... and the old chemlawn prices were really up there.. and i had alot of those on my route.. i'm talking 5k sq. ft. and under for 80 bucks.. it wasn't un-common for guys to come in with $2000 or more in a day back then, or 2 guys in a truck bringing in over 3k just doing residential.. but for me, towards 2004 it got to where they took away our commision and switched to cancellation bonus with chinese overtime.. which was a joke. the sales staff would lie to customers and underprice, there were plenty of bogus sales.. it was a huge joke. i went from taking home 800 a week in the early 90's to just above 400 a week by the time i left in 04... the pay would go down from year to year for me, while the hours I worked to get the rising goals every year would go up.. and the price per lawn went down.. It was a great place to work early in the game, we worked our ass off but we got paid good for it back then.. I don't miss the place, would probally go work at mcdonalds before i went back there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
Na. I used to make 1000 to 1300 a week and never worked past 1:30 and worked with a guy who was the number one producer in the country and he was always gone by noon.

It can be done without ghosting.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ted they have a branch in NWA and have had for a few years.. they are working out of a Terminex branch here in fort smith now.. they are cutting everyone's throat on price..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-10-2013, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Well, I guess that shows you how much I keep up with what TG's doing.

I am in the Conway area and really don't see very many lawns with their stakes in them. Their presence has decreased in this area, but the quality of work I see from them has gone up if you can believe that...

They've always been cut throats.