Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-07-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowcrazy View Post
Thats kinda what im figuring out is that its just hard to beat a gas chevrolet truck........ Especially the old vortec 350.

I sold a 98 chevrolet z71 1500 that I bought with 100K miles on it and had 185K on it when it got totalled........... The only thing I did in 85K miles was a fuel pump and I did have to do breaks pretty often from pulling an enclosed with 2 ztrs, and a walke behind. That motor was awesome!!! Not the most powerful but man it just ran good. I take that back i did a tune up to the truck when I bought it at 100K on it. wish the kid wouldnt have went left of center!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bas turd!!
With the money Ive put in the powerstroke I could have bought 2 of those chevrolets....... Lesson learned.
Well I guess Im a fan.

2000 box truck 5.7 I guess its a vortex.

1990 cadi 5.7 throttle body with 4 injectors.

1990 corvette TPI

1988 silverado 5.7 throttle body 2 injectors.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

This is going to vary wildly for everyone I think. Depends on what size truck, how hard you work it, mileage, etc. For me, my little 2001 6 banger F-150 has been super reliable. I bought it in 2003 with 15K on it and now I'm over 191K. Hasn't nickeled and dimed me much, though I think it may get there soon. I did replace the tranny at 150K, pretty recently replaced rotors all around, a fuel pump, starter solenoid, ball joints, and a heater core. Other than that, same stuff you'll have to do to any truck; tires, brake pads and fluids. Not too bad for 10 years and almost 200K miles.

Now I know that my 4.2 half-ton wouldn't cut it for a lot of you, but for me, my sleepy little truck has paid for itself 100 times over. I'd like to get something newer, but prices just seem too high and I'm only working part time these days. Hope you all have a great 2013!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

A hundred or so in new inner door handles on two of my old body style 99 1 ton Chevy trucks. Both have 81,000 hard miles towing 8-10k. Both have 5.7 vortec engines. New water pumps, a new radiator on one, new batteries from time to time. Original brakes on both. They've had oil changes, air filters, and gas put into them. They make money, period. My 6.0 Chevy trucks haven't had any problems at all. One has 35000 hard miles and the other is brand new. Sold my older vehicles and unloaded the one dodge and ford just before problems started. The older vehicles I have sold were Chevy trucks, I drive a Chevy and can't complain.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-10-2013, 01:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont want to get into a battle but what your truck costs you comes down to maintenance. Some guys or their employees abuse their truck and maintain as if their just going to the grocery store for milk. Others are over the top and it shows.
In our line of work unless you truly have a medium duty truck i would consider it abuse. But thats me.
Yeah 350's 3500's are rated for such and such but if you truly think about the weight and stopping and going the service industry is tough on trucks. I
Old 01-10-2013, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroe74 View Post
I dont want to get into a battle but what your truck costs you comes down to maintenance. Some guys or their employees abuse their truck and maintain as if their just going to the grocery store for milk. Others are over the top and it shows.
In our line of work unless you truly have a medium duty truck i would consider it abuse. But thats me.
Yeah 350's 3500's are rated for such and such but if you truly think about the weight and stopping and going the service industry is tough on trucks. I
I totally agree with your summary of maintenance. That is a priority with us. I also agree that any truck loaded to the hilt in this line of work is getting abused. I would consider that the case as well. My trucks are crew driven and I know they unnecessarily lay into them and do things I'd never do with my personal vehicle. Maybe we've been lucky but standard maintenance has kept us on the road. But these definitely aren't show vehicles and though the power trains are solid, you can tell if you look at the vehicle that it is well used by the interior condition, exterior, etc. Sure they are only 350 3500s but we have had great luck with them, very little downtime, and in response to the original thread, low costs to keep them on the road. The. 6.0 gas engines in my Isuzu NPR HD trucks are holding up very well as well and those are loaded to max gvwr moving materials most days. I hope they last as well as the 350s

Others have good luck with ford and others with dodge. I think if you can find a winning strategy, stick to it. I'm just sharing my experience.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-10-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

I put over $12000 in my 01 F250 7.3 in 2012. It has 22500 miles on it crew cab lariet. All new brakes (rotors and pads), both front unit bearings, tierod, draglink, sway bar links, ball joints, new diff seals, vaccum seals, u joints front and rear and axle, carrier bearing, rear ring and pinion, tires, power steering pump, icp sensor, glow plug relay, reman engine at 218000 miles with new injectors, glow plugs, and turbo.
My 06 F350 has had $6K spent on it in 2012 also. Heard gaskets, turbo, ARP head studs, injectors, oil cooler. I am probably forgetting alot of parts on both of these trucks. They both work hard every day and pull way to much. The dually grosses out about 33000lbs two or three times a week and the 250 has pulled the same load for about 10000 miles. Maybe I need a bigger truck or just new trucks.