Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-10-2013, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Uses for Bagged Grass

With all the rage being "green" these days, what do you guys do with your bagged grass BESIDES dropping it off at the dump. I used to bag a ton of grass but I went "green" and only side discharge now. I just found no use in bagging lawns and I had to dump my trucks every night and the cost was too much. Anyone have any innovative uses? Anyone compost it and make their own mulch? Do tell.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

never bag. always side discharge. use G6 blades it's the same as mulching pretty much.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, that's what I do now. I still have my Walkers, but they only come out for accounts that are paying extra for bagging or clean ups. Same with z baggers. Saves trailer space. And I was AMAZED at how much $$ I saved over bagging because most clients don't even know if you bag unless they micro manage.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney3223 View Post
With all the rage being "green" these days, what do you guys do with your bagged grass BESIDES dropping it off at the dump. I used to bag a ton of grass but I went "green" and only side discharge now. I just found no use in bagging lawns and I had to dump my trucks every night and the cost was too much. Anyone have any innovative uses? Anyone compost it and make their own mulch? Do tell.
It wouldn't be mulch if it's composted. It turns to a rich top soil type dirt. Great for gardens or flowerbeds. You won't be turning grass clippings into mulch anytime soon. I save a given amount then once I have a season's worth, I load it up and dump it at a friends place that does a huge garden each year.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Once i move into a bigger shop and im not sharing yard space, i plan to start a compost pile for grass clippings, leaves, pine needles etc....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-10-2013, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Once i move into a bigger shop and im not sharing yard space, i plan to start a compost pile for grass clippings, leaves, pine needles etc....
Posted via Mobile Device
Thats pretty much what I am doing now. I have one pile that is mostly leaves and any other organics, then I have a pile that gets burned periodically, and then I have a pine needle pile. Pine needles don't break down very fast so I keep them separate. I have a guy that comes and picks up as many pine needles as I have, as soon as he quits I am going to start figuring out a way to sell them as mulch.
Mike
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you could buy one of those pellet mill machines and make pellets for stoves......prob a lot of work tho for not much return.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Actually you certainly can use grass clipping as a mulch, but as-is, not composted...that's what we use as a mulch in our vegetable garden to control weeds.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I dump all my leaves and grass in my backyard and get some nice dirt every spring. Composting is the way to go

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-10-2013, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about this idea of hauling grass around to make compost there is more to it then just dump it on a pile. You gatta add fertilize, water, turn it. What does a yard of good mulch cost? $15 P ut a plate on the outlet of your mowers and leave the dust on the lawn and if they complain knock off a couple dollars.