Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-10-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ill give my 2 cents-

If his ambition is to run a small business with just himself and a helper or two then i would say go to school. Small businesses like this are just like a job. If hes not there then there is no money coming in.

I never realized this until I was working with just 1 helper and had back problems. If I was not able to continue then the business that I had built up over the last few years would go down the drain and my customers would find someone else to service them. That was a wake up call! I now have up to 11 guys in the peak of summer and dont lift a finger other than a pen and clipboard!

If his ambition is to build up the business so he has several employees doing the work and he can manage the business then I would say go for it. This could take several years to get to this point but you need goals to hit.

Good Luck!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYScapes View Post
Ill give my 2 cents-

If his ambition is to run a small business with just himself and a helper or two then i would say go to school. Small businesses like this are just like a job. If hes not there then there is no money coming in.

I never realized this until I was working with just 1 helper and had back problems. If I was not able to continue then the business that I had built up over the last few years would go down the drain and my customers would find someone else to service them. That was a wake up call! I now have up to 11 guys in the peak of summer and dont lift a finger other than a pen and clipboard!

If his ambition is to build up the business so he has several employees doing the work and he can manage the business then I would say go for it. This could take several years to get to this point but you need goals to hit.

Good Luck!
Another thing he needs to take into account... Thanks for the imput

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-10-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Theres no reason whatsoever your son cant go to college and start a business at the same time. Theres nothing wrong with working 14 to 16 hour days when your that age, I did it.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Theres no reason whatsoever your son cant go to college and start a business at the same time. Theres nothing wrong with working 14 to 16 hour days when your that age, I did it.
This is also true.... He was working 14 hour days during the summer

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-10-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
This is also true.... He was working 14 hour days during the summer
Anyhow sounds like you have a fine boy, CONGRATS and GOD BLESS.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Anyhow sounds like you have a fine boy, CONGRATS and GOD BLESS.
Thank you friend. Same to you

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-11-2013, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I also worked in an auto factory for six years, it isn't a life you want for sure, with or without a degree, start your business and go to night school for business classes at a junior college it will save you a lot of money and still get you the education you need while getting the experience you need, killing two birds with one stone per say. A college degree isn't what it used to be, useful? yes! but not required for success.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Take it from a 23 y/o grad with 80k in loans. Go to community college for 2 years and bang out all the stupid classes. Then get a degree in something that will help the business. Like econ accounting mgmt marketing business etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The junior college route really is the way to, like allday says it'll buy you two years, you'll have all the core classes out of the way and by then you'll know which directon you want to go, you haven't lost anything, you've got a head start on both the business AND college WIN WIN!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My son was in the same situation four and a half years ago, hated school, loved cutting. I told him he is going to be an educated grass cutter, plenty of time to cut after school. He stuck with it and graduated, wasnt easy. At the graduation party, he thanked me for "making" him go to school.