Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-06-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Call your local DOT office and they will go over your equipment, paperwork and permits and tell you what you need to do to be legal. Don't call the sheriff or city cops as they won't know. Darryl is right about people's advice on here, the only thing they will have is a wrong answer when it comes to the DOT.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yup...and the fines can be realllllllly steep and they can red tag your equipment on the side of the road...happened to a friend of mine. It's really best to check it out yourself, and even then you might get different answers from different people at DOT and DMV.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok now after reading another post about the cdl requirement, duffster has convinced me i dont need a cdl with a 14 k trailer as long as im under 26k total. lets hope this is correct lol. to further my dilemma my hitch is rated for a 10 k trailer. as long as i keep my 14k trailers weight under 10 k im ok right ??? I want the extra payload in my trailer because it may come in handy .
Old 01-07-2013, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Also, i will check with local dmv and get their answer in writing before i buy my dump trailer. I figure a dump trailer is most versatile though not perfect for everything.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just hang a hammock in it and call it a recreational vehicle and then you're exempt.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Member

yeah and line it w epdm and fill it w water.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

With a 14K axles trailer here south of you in Texas you wouldn't have a problem. My first big trailer purchased was a 21' triple 7K axle beast with 4' sides. The place in Ennis, TX that custom built it for me underrated the trailer. This kept it from being a CDL trailer and made the registration at least $50 less per year.

I drove that trailer from Austin to Houston and back 3-4 times, down the highway south of San Antonio to Bigfoot, TX multiple times and to other places as well. The weights and measures inspectors never even looked my way. The dump trucks, semi's, and other larger stuff was what they were watching for.

Now I have a 20' dump trailer with twin 10K axles and for that I did have to get a CDL. The ticket for getting caught without the proper class of license is usually $1500. This ticket can not be dismissed by correcting the license issue. You can no longer take defensive driving to get a ticket dismissed either. As far as even having a sip of a drink before driving forget it. You have to blow all zeros. No amount of alcohol is allowed.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 01-10-2013, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'll echo what other have said . . . don't take what we say, call your local dmv/dot office and get your local rules.

BUT . . .
here's what I know about VT. and I think that this is pretty typical

If your under 26k gross (rated, not actual or registered) you don't need a CDL
If your over 26k gross with a towed vehicle under 10k you need a CDL B
If your over 26k gross with a towed vehicle over 10k you need a CDL A

If your over 10k gross you need a DOT Med Card.

In VT if you don't cross state-lines you don't need a DOT#, I don't know what this means regarding other FMCSA compliance. Personally I will try to stay fully compliant regardless of if I have a DOT# or not.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabmasonry View Post
I'll echo what other have said . . . don't take what we say, call your local dmv/dot office and get your local rules.

BUT . . .
here's what I know about VT. and I think that this is pretty typical

If your under 26k gross (rated, not actual or registered) you don't need a CDL
If your over 26k gross with a towed vehicle under 10k you need a CDL B
If your over 26k gross with a towed vehicle over 10k you need a CDL A

If your over 10k gross you need a DOT Med Card.

In VT if you don't cross state-lines you don't need a DOT#, I don't know what this means regarding other FMCSA compliance. Personally I will try to stay fully compliant regardless of if I have a DOT# or not.
Class B is for hauling with no trailer. Dumps trucks, cement trucks, and things along those lines. Bus drivers get a class B as well depending on how many passengers the vehicle holds. I have a class A.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 01-10-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If your combined weight (truck gvw + trailer gvw) is less than 26k you dont need a cdl. So a 12k gvw truck can pull a 14k gvw trailer without any cdl. You can drive any truck up to 26k with a trailer up to 10k without a cdl. So a 26k truck + 10k trailer no cdl.

Truck over 26001 lbs + trailer under 10001lbs: Class B CDL
Truck trailer combo over 26001 lbs combined with a trailer over 10001lbs: Class A CDL

You shouldnt need MC#'s unless you transport goods for hire. In my case I only transport goods that I own so I dont need them. I buy goods from my supplier, transport them then sell them to my customers.

Dot numbers, and med cards vary from state to state. Call your state DOT office to find out for sure.

Last edited by metro36; 01-10-2013 at 10:08 PM.