Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-11-2013, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for all the input guys, he still has some time to decide but time is fading.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2013, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

nothing wrong with working hard, that's what this country is supposed to based on.....secondly, it's real tough to pick a career right out of school. I am 30 years old and currently working as a school teacher with two degrees, but I also own two different companies. So I have 3 full time jobs, and before I did this, I worked in the construction industry, labor industry, landscaping.....you name it, I've done it. My plan A was to become a pilot...I did that but hated flying airplanes, then plan b was college, then plan c was to teach but I ended up on plan Z then came back to plan D just to start a plan A5 and end up at 30 years old on plan F10...so my point is that things are gonna change and change often. It's best to get him the skills he can easily transfer to any industry or any type of work. Learning a trade is pretty easy, so is going to school. The best thing to do is teach him how to handle every different situation, how to solve REAL problems and how to adapt. You said he's already got a work ethic and that's great. Make sure to promote him to TRY any of his ideas, even if he fails at it. He WILL be successful if he's willing to work hard and TRY things that others aren't willing to do, like start a landscaping company, or go to college/trade school, or both...The military could also be an option. I was never in but I see the value in learning a skill and discipline from the military. I also thought the Coast Guard sounded like a cool job.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am 20 years old going to college full time as well as running my landscape business full time as well for the most part. Its hell in a handbag in the spring and fall when were slammed. However, ive managed to realize if you have the drive along with good gear and guys that are reliable it is possible. Currently my company services around 175 customers give or take and this year we should add many more. They key is time management and know how. People think im crazy when i tell them i go to a respected college full time, own my own company, have a gf who is very understanding, and play on 4 ice hockey teams. Its possible. I enjoy being my own boss and take pride in being able to control my life completely. This season will be our 3rd year of official business. I am completely debt free and making more money than many of my professors in the process. If your son has any questions feel free to have him pm me and check out my company thread.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Barrett I'd hate to see your dayplanner, LOL I wish I had that much drive when I was 20, but then again I was 23 and training new recruits to go over to the gulf and fight, the military can add a whole new dimension to your life, it's not a bad route either.They can pay for college also, they paid for my degree.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah thats kinda why mayde to an extent that i dont keep much of one haha. i just have been able to come up with a system that works for me.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i'm confused. how do you go to college full time and mow full time? you are at school all day so you can't be out mowing. what do you do mow at night with lights on? lol

oh i forget kids don't even go to school these days. they just do it online at home. i didn't have that option growing up lol.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

jason, i have class either first in the morning or in the night at the college, not online. I do not only mow and blow. My company does all aspects of landscape maintenance, planting, and minor design work. Thanks for the criticism.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
i'm confused. how do you go to college full time and mow full time? you are at school all day so you can't be out mowing. what do you do mow at night with lights on? lol

oh i forget kids don't even go to school these days. they just do it online at home. i didn't have that option growing up lol.
mama says, if you ain't got nuttin nice to say, then don't say it at all.....I give the kid props for going to college and OWNING and RUNNING his own successful company. Not only is he doing it, he had the balls to give it a try. Compare him to 95% of his classmates that go to class, come home and drink and smoke reefer the rest of the day....It's hard to argue with success.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the compliment MJ. I still have time to be social and party with my buddies but in the spring especially it gets put on the back burner. If anyone doubts the scope of my company check out my business thread on here or my facebook page. My company is called Young Entrepreneur Landscaping LLC. On here its misspelled so its probably best to go through my profile to it.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

spring time is the busy time for most, bet that's fun with finals week to boot eh? My busy time is the fall, which for me is a *****. I'm a school teacher full time (cept summers of course) and the fall killed me with all the clean ups after school. not to mention it gets dark earlier then too. I gotta give you props tho, I'm sure it sucks now but hard work always pays off, even in our current economy with our current president. you can do anything shitty for a few years, just keep looking ahead to the future