Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-08-2013, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a long list of ones to read. As I finish them, and if they are worthwhile, I'll post the names. Never stop learning.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 01-09-2013, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Purchased the E Myth Landscape Contractor as well as Green Side Up yesterday, as a package with shipping on Amazon it came to just under $80. I had my wisdom teeth removed Monday and I have to lay low and relax (nearly impossible) so hopefully the books will arrive tomorrow and I can get to reading.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I keep coming back to all these posts of these 60-80-100 hour work weeks that everyone posted about. It just doesn't make sense, you sacrifice time with friends, family, your health, and the list goes on and on. Sure people may say it doesn't bother me, but I will assure you it will in time. I have done those in my life.

Here's an exercise that you should try. Take out two pieces of paper and put them on your desk. On the one on the left I want you to write down all the things you do daily that someone else could do at your company. Or things you don't truly enjoy doing. On the other piece of the paper I want you to make a list of the things you feel you are most important that you do and that you like doing. Or where you can be utilized the best.

I recently did this as we prepare to add another position internally. What this does is form the foundation for the job description of what you'll be asking this other person to do. It's not the whole description, but you are well on your way. I was amazed that after just a short time I came up with 40 bullet points. Things that have to happen to make the company function, but maybe not necessarily things I need to be doing anymore. Example (and I'm not kidding): I like to cut the lawn at the office, deep down inside I'm a mowerhead. I grew up mowing grass and to this day still like the fresh air and smell. However, is it really the best use of an hour of my week? No.

Things like this will tell you when you need to add someone and what that person will look like, or eventually look like. If you make that list on the left, and you have 50 points, guess what? It's time to add someone to your company. Simple as that. You can't do everything, it just won't work.

There's the piece of advice for today.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 01-09-2013, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hows the turning radius on the fl70's compared to your cclb? we are looking at large cabovers, and am interested in looking at something different, and want to know how the turning radius would compare to my pickup. This is going to be primarily used for design/build which is all we do, making material runs/used as onsite dumpster and machine hualer.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

ETW, I have been reading your thread for 2 years and this is my first post. But, I just have to say thanks for taking the time out, to answer questions, post pictures and give free advice! I have had a business coach off and on for a year now and I tell my wife all the time, "I think i can save my money and get coaching for free from your thread lol", and for all the guys who are just starting out including me who can't fit a coach in there cash flow full time, this is a huge help. Your landscape knowledge is amazing, but your business practices is what keeps me reading. And so I dont sound to sobby, I love that F550 lol.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerewashed View Post
hows the turning radius on the fl70's compared to your cclb? we are looking at large cabovers, and am interested in looking at something different, and want to know how the turning radius would compare to my pickup. This is going to be primarily used for design/build which is all we do, making material runs/used as onsite dumpster and machine hualer.
The tuning radius is better than the Ford CC Go 186 cab to axle or less with the fl70s and you'll be fine.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I spent the last two days in Baltimore at the Mants Show. I met up with several of my good friends who own landscape companies from other parts of the country. These guys are who I would consider some of the most smartest, successful owners in the industry. The friendship and respect that I have for them goes deep and we have a long history together, there's little I wouldn't share with them. In was neat to just sit in the inner harbor and just chat. We have all been an integral part in helping each other grow. Thanks guys.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I thought this thread was for equipment pics...
Old 01-11-2013, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Discussing business operations is a bit more important than pictures of trucks & loaders for those that want an ever expanding business.

On a side note, my copies of the E Myth & Green Side Up arrived today! Aside from handling all the remaining accounting from 2012 (a lot), salting properties tonight, fine tuning my new website, and watching supercross tmrw night, that's what I'm doing this wknd...reading my books on business. I'm 21 and reading books on the weekend....ha
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by JContracting; 01-11-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Well then discuss business in the business forum.