Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-12-2013, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Tracer View Post
If you have the horses. Yes.
Posted via Mobile Device
How many horses we talking to efficiently run 2 blades per spindle?

2 standard blades? Mulching blades?

Old 01-12-2013, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomer View Post
I wonder if the 60" deck makes a striping difference? I run all 48" Turf Tracers and they stripe beautifully.
We had the striper/roller on some of our 60" decks. They seemed to lay a deeper stripe than our Turf Tracers without any roller/striper add-on. It was not that significant, but a bit noticeable to someone with "the eye"
Old 01-12-2013, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gt331 View Post
Pro-turf whats the ground speed on the turf tracer been thinking about getting one. I perfer walk behinds mostly for the resedential yards but i have a few 5-7 acre properties that you just have to use a ztr on them because there much faster.
Don't quote me on this but I believe the Turf Tracer is close to 7mph and the Lazer is closer to 12mph.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Jack View Post
Having realized the pro's of walk behinds for years and also know the con's of velke's,after your employee's get thrown around and jarred like a pogo stick after years riding that velke so you could save a few bucks on gas and maintenance expenses,who's going to pay for your employee's knee reconstructive surgery as they get older? The knee's aren't meant to be used as shock absorbers and like shocks ,their life expectancy will become shortened if overly abused. You need to look at both sides of the coin here and listen to your employee complaints and hopefully a rational solution to benefit both parties will come of it,after all your employee's are the back bone of your operation .
I would be leaving if I was his employee. Keeping your employees happy should be propertiy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2013, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Jack View Post
Having realized the pro's of walk behinds for years and also know the con's of velke's,after your employee's get thrown around and jarred like a pogo stick after years riding that velke so you could save a few bucks on gas and maintenance expenses,who's going to pay for your employee's knee reconstructive surgery as they get older? The knee's aren't meant to be used as shock absorbers and like shocks ,their life expectancy will become shortened if overly abused. You need to look at both sides of the coin here and listen to your employee complaints and hopefully a rational solution to benefit both parties will come of it,after all your employee's are the back bone of your operation .

You could use that debate for many instances in the working world. There is almost always an "easier" way to do something.

-Why did you make employees rake loam by hand when you could have use a power rake?
-Why did they have to move wheelbarrows with stone when they could've used a skid steer, who is going to pay for their back issues they might have over time?
-Why did they use a leaf rake when you could've used blowers...who's going to pay for their shoulder surgery they might need?
-Why did you use blowers when you could have used leaf rakes...who is going to pay for their hearing loss from a blower in their ear all day that might happen over the years?
-Why did you make make your office staff use a keyboard instead of speech recognition software, who's going to pay for the treatments for the carpal tunnel syndrome that they might get over the years?

It is the territory that goes along with the job, I'm sure we could come up with examples for any industry. We value our employees greatly, there is no doubt about that. No one is forcing them to work for our company, or in the green industry. It is a choice they have made as employees & we have made as employers. We are not going to run different machines because after many years of operating one of our mowers there is a chance an employee will have bad knees.

What would be worse on the knees/legs/body over the years...operating a walk-behind with a velke or without a velke?
Old 01-12-2013, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I would be leaving if I was his employee. Keeping your employees happy should be propertiy
Posted via Mobile Device
Whiffy...you are saying that you feel having to mow with a hydraulic walk behind mower and a velke is grounds for leaving a company? You would not work for a company unless you were sitting on a mower all day?

What would you do if your employer asked you to pick up a shovel and dig a hole to plant a tree? I'm assuming you would quit because it should be done with an auger or excavator?
Old 01-12-2013, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would not cut grass 5 days a week on a velke. Next year I'm running two lazers, 36 turf tracer, and a vantage. Turf tracer is for one property. To me that's unfair to your employees. We cut a lot of large properties though, only about 15 residentials so maybe that is the difference

As far as picking up a shovel... I sat my ass in the bobcat moving the trees. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2013, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A solid 2 wheel sulky is probably better on the body than sitting all day. Rider mowers even sitting or driving all day is hell on the lower spine (discs).
Old 01-12-2013, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would have also thought that there could be some middle ground. Maybe 2 WB and 1 rider, and each week one member of the crew gets to ride instead of walk. The more I think about it the less practical it is, and the mower arguing could result from it... But im sure it would keep everybody happy

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-12-2013, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I switched back to all walkbehinds a few seasons back-no velke-all walk. So much better for my tricky properties-the turf wear and tear has disappeared. Everybody happy. They just fit my program, If I were cutting huge estate-type ground, I'm sure it would be different. Anyway, good analysis and report!