Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-12-2013, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

BTW - This was just discussed here in length on another thread.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=393510
Old 01-12-2013, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My first year I had my first EOW. The customer lied and claimed her lawn never grows. The lawn needed to be cut every week. We parted ways half way through the season.

Second year I was asked to do a lawn weekly and her FIL's lawn EOW by a new customer.

I relayed my bad experience from the year before and that if the lawn grew too much it was going to be switched over. She said FIL's lawn hardly grows. She was truthful.

What I have decided to do when someone wants EOW I will tell them that the lawn gets mowed once. There will be no 2nd cuts done to make the lawn look good.

I also now price my EOW lawns 50% more to the extra load the taller grass puts on the equipment. The customer still saves money.

$30 cut @ 4/5 month $120-150.
$45 cut @ 2/3 month $ 90-135.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
Why would you even consider taking bi-weekly accounts if you're getting 30 calls a day that you don't even bother to call back, lol.
Im just looking for input and since I dont do contracts I guarantee I wont have a full schedule since a lot of people just price shop and some even have moved. So im going to be taking on more lawns and was wondering how everyone handles the dreaded "can you only cut every two weeks?" Question.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2013, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Charge 1.5 times what you would normally charge if you were to be mowing their lawn every week. That seems to be one of the better ways to approach it.

Spencer Korum
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
Old 01-13-2013, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
Im just looking for input and since I dont do contracts I guarantee I wont have a full schedule since a lot of people just price shop and some even have moved. So im going to be taking on more lawns and was wondering how everyone handles the dreaded "can you only cut every two weeks?" Question.
Posted via Mobile Device
That and how often do you usually come, I just say I come every week. I remember a thread like this and I asked how do you not have biweekly accounts, I forgot who it was but they said "I just simply don't give them the option". It actually works. Most people will do that wierd thing when someone tells you a really high price that's where you just stand there and don't say anything just watch them. You're going to see the wheels turning and they are going to think about it and that's where they usually say ok

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 01-13-2013, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

But every once in a while you will get the real bull headed customer who will flat out say no we only want our lawn done every other week. And then you have to decided whether you want to work something out or lose the account to some other company.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
2014 John Deere Z920M
2011 Husqvarna 5424 ZTR
(2) Craftsman Push Mowers
Stihl trimmers
Echo Blowers
6x10 open utility trailer
6x12 Enclosed Trailer
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Old 01-13-2013, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
My first year I had my first EOW. The customer lied and claimed her lawn never grows. The lawn needed to be cut every week. We parted ways half way through the season.

Second year I was asked to do a lawn weekly and her FIL's lawn EOW by a new customer.

I relayed my bad experience from the year before and that if the lawn grew too much it was going to be switched over. She said FIL's lawn hardly grows. She was truthful.

What I have decided to do when someone wants EOW I will tell them that the lawn gets mowed once. There will be no 2nd cuts done to make the lawn look good.

I also now price my EOW lawns 50% more to the extra load the taller grass puts on the equipment. The customer still saves money.

$30 cut @ 4/5 month $120-150.
$45 cut @ 2/3 month $ 90-135.

This is pretty much what I do. Average price or $40-50/weekly or $50-60 every other week.