Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-10-2013, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Guys during the winter I think it would be easier to sell clients on the 12 month plan if you showed up at least twice a month during the none growing season. Blowing out beds keeping them weed free even run over the yard so it keeps its maintained look. Weather was great here today, actually broke quite a sweat pruning today.
As far as billing I think im going to set 3 dates a month when invoices go out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-10-2013, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Once in awhile we get a question from a full service about paying in the winter. When you review what they are paying for and they see you showing up periodically, they usually understand.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have you guys ever offered overseeding with winter Rye for warm season grasses to keep lawns green year round? I havent tried to push this as a service and im not sure of the growth rates, but mowing something green every 2month weeks might seem feasible to customers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2013, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You could add that in to your yearly service accounts, I'd be careful around here we're in a transition zone and it could cause more problems than you planned for.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea were in 7b, what kind of problems? In the class I just took, I remember discussions on how it depletes the soil of nitrogen at a accelerated rate..... What problemsI have youyou experienced? I don't see it much I've seen it on a few small commercial properties.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2013, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawnpro,
It depends on your customer and yes, if you have warm season grasses then I wouldnt seed with a winter rye, let it go dormant. Its kinda been a joke around here with a few othe Lawn Guys, paint it. How do you think some of Pro Fields stay green in the winter. Yea its some grass, but not all of it. Tall fescue is our turf grass here. It stays green year round except in a drought. It does brown up a little in winter.
I do have a customer that mainly has Zoysia and he couldnt stand the brown in the winter. I got with my seed guy and we planted a Perennial Winter Rye. It comes out about the time the Zoysia goes away in the Fall and goes dormant about the time the Zoysia comes in. We had to add an additional Starter Fert in the winter to help. It wasnt cheap either, 50lbs for about 93.00. It is a selling point though.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have customers that are the same way hate brown in the winter. Even had a few ask about fescue, but that's pretty much a no go here in the upstate. Crimson, what was the growth rate like on the rye during winter months and did you treat this lawn as well?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Made me think I was going to half wake up the equipment from hibernation.
It got tall. Rye can grow with low sun angle and little moisture. A lot of Farmers up here plant winter wheat crops so I thought this would be an answer for him, it was. Now the question is how often will I need to re seed, every other year, every third because the Zoysia will choke it out. This was a trial and I only charged him for the product because I wanted to know as well.
I will half to think about it but if we keep snow cover, out of sight out of mind.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Why do you say fescue is a no go in the upstate? the key is to keep it overseeded, watered and a strict weed control and fertilizaton program in place. I have accounts that have tall fescue that we do all of the above and they look great year round. I just checked on all the accounts last week and the fescue lawns are in great shape right now, as are the bermuda lawns, I have one account with St Augustine and can't find a solid weed control and fert program. my fert and squirt guy won't touch it. The customer called several of the big guys too and they won't touch it either. Going to try and get someone from Clemson to clue me in.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Why do you say fescue is a no go in the upstate? the key is to keep it overseeded, watered and a strict weed control and fertilizaton program in place. I have accounts that have tall fescue that we do all of the above and they look great year round. I just checked on all the accounts last week and the fescue lawns are in great shape right now, as are the bermuda lawns, I have one account with St Augustine and can't find a solid weed control and fert program. my fert and squirt guy won't touch it. The customer called several of the big guys too and they won't touch it either. Going to try and get someone from Clemson to clue me in.
Bc most of the customers that have fescue will not do all of the above and im not going to do it if they wont do a full program like what you described lol. Do you overseed or topdress Bermuda? Bermuda seed is high as $*%# here. If you can get in touch with George Dickert at the Clemson ext in Spartanburg. Also Carolina Fresh Farms here in town has a schedule for for St. Augustine I believe. I think if you call Ryan he can email it to you or I could grab one for you.
Posted via Mobile Device