Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-07-2013, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
We offer check, pay pal, might try CC this year just to see how it goes I also want to get an I phone this year so it would have the CC option available.
i would really try the c.c. payments on all your residential clients. I feel it was the best thing my business did. saved us a lot of time and hassle of trying to collect payments from each of our customers. most people are scarred of 1. the cost of c.c. payments and 2. will they get customers that way. I find that most customers prefer the c.c. method. I never have to worry about getting paid.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-09-2013, 02:16 AM
LawnSite Member

I have my lawn customers put me on the automatic payment system with their bank. I get paid on or before the 1st each month before I mow. The 4 and 5 week months just average out. Never have an outstanding invoice. As simple as it gets.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I either collect at time of service (cash, check, or swipe their card on my smart phone) or charge their credit/debit card when I am done for the day if they choose automatic payment. If they don't want to provide their cc info (I make them sign a credit card authorization form) for automatic billing, then they can leave a check under the mat if they aren't going to be home.

Screw waiting 30-45 days to get paid. If they don't want to do that, then someone else can mow their lawn. Like others have said, when you get a hair cut they don't send you a bill at the end of the month. Why should I be any different. Then if they don't pay or their card is declined after a single mowing, then service stops until it's paid. I would much rather just eat one mowing and move on, then have to deal with sending out multiple invoices, trying to call them or track them down or worse yet small claims court to get paid for several mowings. My time is more valuable then that.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm25x View Post
I either collect at time of service (cash, check, or swipe their card on my smart phone) or charge their credit/debit card when I am done for the day if they choose automatic payment. If they don't want to provide their cc info (I make them sign a credit card authorization form) for automatic billing, then they can leave a check under the mat if they aren't going to be home.

Screw waiting 30-45 days to get paid. If they don't want to do that, then someone else can mow their lawn. Like others have said, when you get a hair cut they don't send you a bill at the end of the month. Why should I be any different. Then if they don't pay or their card is declined after a single mowing, then service stops until it's paid. I would much rather just eat one mowing and move on, then have to deal with sending out multiple invoices, trying to call them or track them down or worse yet small claims court to get paid for several mowings. My time is more valuable then that.
All of that is fine if you plan on staying solo, but if you want to grow and eventually have hundreds of accounts you'll have to put a billing system in place as well as a collection system, of which I did this year.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
All of that is fine if you plan on staying solo, but if you want to grow and eventually have hundreds of accounts you'll have to put a billing system in place as well as a collection system, of which I did this year.
Then throw in a payroll, financed equipment and a revolving line of credit. Now you really better have your head screwed on straight. An accountant is a necessity and a huge assett, but doesn't mean you can turn your back for a minute.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2013, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Ap how do you dl that if theyare a weekly customer . You cut for four weeks then send a bill cut for another four weeks then get paid
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2013, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THDindallas View Post
Ap how do you dl that if theyare a weekly customer . You cut for four weeks then send a bill cut for another four weeks then get paid
Posted via Mobile Device
Nope cut for four weeks, send an invoice of which is due upon receipt, just like any other legit company does.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I an 16 this is going to be my second season. Most of my customers i give them s bill at end of month a few pay me at time of service but thats since due to their work schedule they are always home when i mow. However I trust them all if something doesn't feel right or are worried about getting payed. Then ask to either be paid at end of service or prepay.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some bill a month in advance. That's how a lot of service providers bill. I don't know if I said it earlier but I bill on the first of the month for services provided the previous month. I did have to make a couple of calls yesterday about delinquent fall clean up invoices, but most of my customers pay in a timely manner. Sometimes I will send the bill out after the last cut of the month and not wait for the 1st of the month, but it's still dated the 1st.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

After you've been in business for awhile and you get to be known as a legit company, most people aren't as leary as when your a new company. Suppling references helps a lot to.