Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-12-2013, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

ops i wrote that down wrong. lol

i meant i wasn't talking about every one of them just the majority.

i have a few wealthy customers. they are nice people. i have known however many that were just jerks and plain mean during my lifetime.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I enjoy working for my wealthy clients.. They are usually normal minded people, who have done well for themselves and I always usually get good advice, or learn interesting things I didn't know.. I have had a handful of "wealthy" clients that were very hard to deal with and were quite unreasonable.. It happens, and you cant do much except move on if you cant work for them..

Wealthier clients in my opinion, look for a company that looks higher end with everything from equipment to how they dress, to the literature they use, and believe it or not how clean you keep your equipment trucks etc..
Old 01-12-2013, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm with jason on this issue.

I market to EVERYONE the same, I charge EVERYONE the same and I perform the same quality services for EVERYONE.

why would marketing be done any differently whether your wealthy or not.

I'm not going to do anything differently or treat anyone differently just because they are wealthy. I have wealthy clients. they receive no special treatment. if they call and I don't answer, there message is returned no sooner than anyone else's. I don't bump other clients to get there work done any sooner. if they are late on there invoices they receive the same final notice letter that they could be turned over to collection as any other client would.

the end point is I don't seperate my clients into categories like that. sure I have on a site like this for a post like this but in my business they are all just clients and they all get treated exactly the same and I don't value ones business over another's business.

EVERYONE receives the same treatment across the board in every aspect of the business.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:48 PM

So you are saying that a client who's lawn you mow for $50 and spends $2,000 a year with your company gets the same treatment and attention as a client who may spend $20,000 a year with your company?
Old 01-12-2013, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post

why would marketing be done any differently whether your wealthy or not.
- because wealthy buyers are probably looking for service providers in different places than the average homeowner
- because wealthy buyers are often on a different sales cycle
- because wealthy buyers may have different priorities and values that determine who they go with

I serve a pretty broad market. I have some $5-10k installed landscapes in my portfolio that look great and get a certain segment of buyers excited. Someone who owns a $5 million home would look at those pics and say "if that's all you've done, thanks for your time." That's why I also have six-figure installs in my portfolio. I focus on those for one type of prospect, the "normal person" jobs for the rest. There's absolutely nothing wrong with recognizing that you need to consider the demographic you're pitching to.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:41 PM

So you are saying that a client who's lawn you mow for $50 and spends $2,000 a year with your company gets the same treatment and attention as a client who may spend $20,000 a year with your company?
Old 01-12-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
- because wealthy buyers are probably looking for service providers in different places than the average homeowner
- because wealthy buyers are often on a different sales cycle
- because wealthy buyers may have different priorities and values that determine who they go with

I serve a pretty broad market. I have some $5-10k installed landscapes in my portfolio that look great and get a certain segment of buyers excited. Someone who owns a $5 million home would look at those pics and say "if that's all you've done, thanks for your time." That's why I also have six-figure installs in my portfolio. I focus on those for one type of prospect, the "normal person" jobs for the rest. There's absolutely nothing wrong with recognizing that you need to consider the demographic you're pitching to.
Good information
Old 01-12-2013, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adams View Post
I don't think anyone would treat these customers the same. Furthermore the guys who average a 2000k gross per home would have an even more difficult time. I think some of it might be subconscious, but 20k per year has a nice grip of profit potential that many people DO NOT want to lose.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Member

We have no problems with "wealthier" customers. They treat us just as good or better than the "other" customers. They appreciate the quality of work we do and spread the word about our work. We wouldn't be where we are today without them.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This may be the exception to the rule, but I have a guy who I am starting my 6th season with. I pull in 5 figures off of him each season. I hate to admit it, but I picked him up with one of the crudest little newspaper ads you've ever seen. However, he had three companies audition. I was the last of the three to try out. Company two, one of the most recognized in the area had serviced the property the week prior had left the most God awful mess you've ever seen and I had to deal with that. However, after spending the extra time to make it look the best I could I won the job. This customer never questions when I make suggestions. Tells me DO IT. I like to think I've got a decent advertising program in place. Just saying, I picked my best account up with some of the most primitive advertising I've ever done.