Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-12-2013, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

46-0-0

I've got a lady insisting on me coming Monday to put down Urea on her 15,000 sq ft lawn. Her old lawn care provider moved and she seems be a potential long term client. She says the old guy always put it down this time of year and it greened up fine. We are in Missouri and she has a fescue/blue grass mix lawn. I told her I don't apply fertilizers without first testing the soil ph and that it was really unnecessary to put straight nitrogen down right now (or at all for that matter). I told her I can come by tomorrow to double check her square footage and evaluate what needs to be done.

My question is.... Would you just do the job for her anyways?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you feel you won't be able to gain this clients trust in your professional evaluation and you have no choice but to do the app. First try turning a bag of 0-0-62 upside down from a distance...tell her its 59-0-0 Urea put it down its all good.

If that won't work and you have to use Urea. How about only applying about 1/4 pound. There you did it, job done.

It all sounds risky for you to me. Sounds as though she is expecting a certain result based on what someone else used to do at a certain time if year without taking into account the same factors that drive your professional opinion.

Please do not ever lower your professional standards just to let a client dictate your industry miss behaviors. In the end it will effect all of us trying to crawl out from under the stereotype we all suffer at times. Its just another pest that is highly resistant. Just be professional. Let her fail you. Don't let her make you fail you!

IMHO...A true professional is never pushed into actions not becoming of his/her responsible duty's. That's immature.

No such thing as a immature professional.

If you consider yourself professional the answer is easy. No opinions required for this common industry issue.

To simply answer your big question. Not no but HELL NO!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks man. I'm not gonna put it down. That's a funny idea though about just putting down some Potash. I'll try to get her signed up on my yearly program and just pound the importance of the soil test. Who knows, maybe she was just testing me to see if I would do the app anyways just because she was willing to pay.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2013, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My question is are you guys not getting snow/sleet mixture right now? I am originally from the NE corner of the state and they are getting pounded with sleet and snow right now. If that is true I would ask her if she would rather you just take the fertilizer and stick it directly in the storm drain.

How much of the actual N would actually even be able to be taken up by the plant with your current conditions? I am thinking very very little and most will leach

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!

Last edited by Landscape Poet; 01-12-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
My question is are you guys not getting snow/sleet mixture right now? I am originally from the NE corner of the state and they are getting pounded with sleet and snow right now. If that is true I would ask her if she would rather you just take the fertilizer and stick it directly in the storm drain.

How much of the actual N would actually even be able to be taken up by the plant with your current conditions? I am thinking very very little and most will leach
That is the question that needs to be addressed to the client... There are a number of reasons for NOT putting down N on winter dormant turf, not the least of which involves pouring it down the storm sewer... funny remark, BTW...

Not only will most of the N go to waste, but becuz the surface of the turf will warm and hold water sometimes, you are really encouraging surface growth roots,,, with the N that does get used...