Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-12-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
The friend who recommended them is in IT (cyber security, govt contracts) and knows the owner through that community.
Yep, security seems to be his specialty so, based on ownership credentials alone, I'd put him way ahead of most companies I've checked out.

Anyone else have any good, reputable recommendations?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Anyone else have any good, reputable recommendations?
Well I was going to recommend myself, but I didn't file my LLC till 2011, have a UPS Store mailing address and have MagicJack business line... (just kidding, while all that is true, I have switched to only hosting clients that I do other services for)

As Tony mentioned the above doesn't mean so much, what the people behind the company know and how they run it, and what they run it on (server/network wise) makes a lot bigger difference.

Just like your industry, anyone can get the bare basics and start selling their services as a "professional", however with online things such as hosting, really makes it way easier to mask that. There are tons of hosting providers out there, that will for free let you become a "reseller", and sell their services to your customers (and many that will "white label" it, meaning you can put your own company information all over everything)

Heck, even myself, made a payment of $300, and 3 hours later have my own server that I can host sites on, Just need to find 30 people a month willing to pay me $10/moth for hosting and it pay for itself... get that to 90 people a month, that is $600 a month income just for doing nothing but advertising it, and once you have those 90 people, assuming none leave, that is $600/month for nothing! Seems simple right? Yep people do that all the time. (kinda remind you of the guy who goes and buys a used mower and charges what he wants to make and not charge as a real business"?)

I always tell people, get customer recommendations not only from current customers, but from customers that have been with them for at least a year. A "new" customer will of course be thrilled, lets face it, who goes from a bad experience and then gets into a worse one? (ok, people do that, but the company isn't gonna give them as a reference LOL)

As far as recommendations for shared hosting, before I started running my own servers, I was with pairNetworks (www.pair.com) since they were 1 year old (1997). They are 100% privately owned, including hardware/datacenter, and operated out of Pittsburgh, PA.

-Greg
Old 02-17-2013, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I started off with a company a friend of mine found around 2004. A young guy bought the company and named it bizwalla. I met him a few times, nice to go visit as he lived in Vegas and the servers were in Vegas.

He later sold the company and now I am with Host Metro.

http://www.hostingmetro.com/

I do not see my plan or my VPS on their website. Their tech support is responsive and most the time will fix things quickly. Other times there is a communication issue in describing the concern and that is perhaps because of my appliance.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm just concerned that if I need help with the site itself that's where I will end up getting reamed? I'm with 1 and 1 now and they give me free support. I guess the other concern is as a small landscaping company how do I know which package is best for me? Todd mentioned the 15.95 with SSL sounds reasonable but I don't think it has any site support with it?

Last edited by cpllawncare; 02-17-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I'm just concerned that if I need help with the site itself that's where I will end up getting reamed? I'm with 1 and 1 now and they give me free support. I guess the other concern is as a small landscaping company how do I know which package is best for me? Todd mentioned the 15.95 with SSL sounds reasonable but I don't think it has any site support with it?
I get support. It is e-mail ticket support.

The question is will you need support with the host or the site. My host will only do so much to support my CMS, my CMS has next to no support.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELS Landscape View Post
I get support. It is e-mail ticket support.

The question is will you need support with the host or the site. My host will only do so much to support my CMS, my CMS has next to no support.
That's what scares me, what if something goes wrong with the site or the host, and I need to fix it but don't know how? I guess I'm a lil confused here LOL
Old 02-17-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
That's what scares me, what if something goes wrong with the site or the host, and I need to fix it but don't know how? I guess I'm a lil confused here LOL
As ELS points out, you're on your own with your actual site. There are just too many variables that go in to a site for your typical support to handle, especially a CMS, so you will need to rely on your own learning, the vast online documentation that's available, knights in shining armor, and the potential hired gun. Realistically, support would be similar to that of a lumberyard that sells you a 2x4 to build a shed of your design.

You will find some premium themes that have great support and user forums, so that is another option. Digging yourself out of any issues really comes down to your technical aptitude, analytical skills, and ability to effectively use Search.

The best question to ask yourself is "Do I need a CMS or do I just think I do?". ELS knows I refer to this as "Using a rocket launcher to hunt squirrel." Lol

Last edited by tonygreek; 02-17-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe I should just stay where I'm at with my diy site
Old 02-18-2013, 03:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

CMS's are great but they are software not a static HTML webpage.
There will be updates as the developers refine code, fix bugs, add features and so forth. Sometimes there are even security updates.

To be fair again I only know drupal, which has the reputation of being the most complex of the CMS and it is famous for the fact that Whitehouse.gov is built with it. The joke is the US Government used a free open source program and it cost 18 million to develop. While on the other hand, it is reported that Energy.gov is saving 10 million a year over their old platform.

Drupal likely powers the most robust and complex sites on the internet in the public and private sector. For a simple website it is as Tony's says " hunting Squirrels with a rocket launcher"

That is not to say Drupal or any other CMS is too powerful for the small website because it can and will serve up a few pages of content, provide simple user interfaces and editing tools (for content).
Old 02-18-2013, 04:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post

You will find some premium themes that have great support and user forums, so that is another option. Digging yourself out of any issues really comes down to your technical aptitude, analytical skills, and ability to effectively use Search.
That is a good point, look for a premium theme because they package modules known by them to work in a particular manner. They do offer some level of support.

I have a premium theme and the guy was pretty helpful but little help was needed. The line is crossed, as expected when you have problems with other mods he did not include or when it comes to modifying the team. He was willing to provide a few hints in that case as well.

If I were going to a CMS site looking to get started as a novice, I would go look at the free themes. I would follow those to the develop site and then reveiw their premium themes. Frankly, almost everyone putting out the free stuff is doing so to show you thier work and generate leads. The other side is they are having some issues so they toss out the mod and hope to enlist some people to contribute and test.

Last edited by ELS Landscape; 02-18-2013 at 04:31 AM.