Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-12-2013, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
HP does not necessarily translate into either mph or cfm. Listen...get it through your head...you're using the wrong cfm number...that is at the housing, not the end of the pipe. Makita reports the same 720 at the housing but also report it at the tube. If you want to believe that they somehow defy the laws of physics and get the same cfm at the tube as at the housing then yes, they are close in power...but the facts don't seem to support that.

From the numbers I have seen the Dolmar does not have comparable power output to the Husky 560. The best indication of the power of the units is a calculation of their power index, which you get by multiplying the cfm by the mph and then dividing by 10,000. So you've got 526 x 195 = 10.25 for the Makita/Dolmar. For the Husky 560 you've got 632 x 232 = 14.7. 14.7/10.25 makes the 560 43% more powerful. Now compare it to the Husky 580/Redmax 8500 with 908 cfm at 206 mph, giving a power index of 18.7...that's 82% more powerful than the Dolmar/Makita. Sorry but there's just no comparison.

I don't care what you buy or what you use but I don't want other people basing their decisions on false criteria. And again...the weight given for the Dolmar/Makita is without the tubes on dude...yeah they're only plastic but they aren't weightless.
"I just bought the Makita BBX7600 recently from Amazon for $399.99 including shipping and it is virtually the same blower as the Robin with the 76.6cc true 4-stroke engine (not 4-mix) which, by the way is really made by Subaru. I wrote a nice review for it. There are different specs quoted by different sellers, it IS a powerful blower so the lower specs quoted are most likely underated. BTW there is no across the board standard method of testing blowers anyway so I would not give much credence to manufacturer specs"by SDK1959
Old 01-12-2013, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry but posting heresay on this board doesn't get you very far!
Old 01-12-2013, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
This has been posted here before, but it's probably the closest you're going to get to a real world somewhat scientific comparison of some of the most popluar blowers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePqL085xf-g
Yes I love it .I see what has been said about the 2 big Redmax or the 570 and 580 are so close it my no't be worth the $50 to $80 difference .
Old 01-13-2013, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The 580 is more for heavy debris and has a waist belt. But yes, they are close in performance on that test and their indexes are very close too if you calculate them. The 580 has significantly higher cfm while the 570 has significantly higher mph, likely due largely to different nozzles on the ends. $50 to $80 shouldn't be much of a decision maker on what I consider to be a key piece of lawn care equipment that should give several years of service, in my opinion. My purchase of a 580 has all but eliminated my use of a wheel blower. I originally was considering the Shindaiwa EB802 because I have gotten such great service out of my EB630s, but the exhaust on it seems to make it much less of a blower than it should be. For me it came down to the Shin 802, Echo 770 and Husky 580 and the 580 untimately won.

Here's a short video I made of the 580 in action...should have put some bigger firewood out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgxwaIoSuhg

Here's one with me playing backetball with it. Try that with your Dolmar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oovm_FtUE6k
Old 01-13-2013, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Sorry but posting heresay on this board doesn't get you very far!
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...+blower&page=5
Old 01-13-2013, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Obviously you don't know what heresay is, lol. Is it your direct experience? I've already read that and I've also read all the reviews by the guys who burned them out in short order due to their tiny 7 ounce oil reservoir.

Again, go for it, I don't care...but don't go making it out to be more than it is...it's a 195 mph blower that has a 720 cfm rating at the housing and 526 cfm at the tube that with tubes on would not be significantly lighther than blowers that greatly outperform it, based on the numbers provided by the manufacturer.

Did you see this review? "After this was delivered it ran for 5 minutes and has never run again. There appears to be a problem with a pin that controls the fuel intake. The repair shop has been trying to get a replacement part from the manufacturer for over a year. Learned my lesson."

How about this one? "I WAS very happy with this blower until I destroyed it by failing to check the oil frequently enough. As the other reviewers attest, it is quiet, powerful, and heavy."

This one? "This blower should be AVOIDED! It has a life of about 2 months than the engine for all intensive purposes is Dead! Did they even test this thing long term ??

So I brought my shiny new DEAD unit for repair and its covered by warranty.Only problem is that Makita Tool dealers really dont even know how to fix them. So they slap a new carb on and some more new parts and test it for I Guessa minute call me up and say it is ready.I than go on to use it and low and behold it has no power and just dies.

So do i bring it back again? Whats the game plan here ,a few dozen trips to get it fixed than it falls out of warranty next year? So my total useage will be two months and 2 months in repair shop and a month of broken use than the winter and than warranty is gone and I guess i throw it out. $450 Wasted.

I really dont see how Makita can bring this worthless garbage to market ! The core engine design is a trainwreck.I would venture to say this model is completely discontinued or redsigned .Or maybe they will peddle more of these out on unsuspecting customers like myself?"

What about all the ones reporting problems with the carb gasket blowing out?

Personally I think I'll stick with buying my equipment from local dealers who can provide me with support and service.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Obviously you don't know what heresay is, lol. Is it your direct experience? I've already read that and I've also read all the reviews by the guys who burned them out in short order due to their tiny 7 ounce oil reservoir.

Again, go for it, I don't care...but don't go making it out to be more than it is...it's a 195 mph blower that has a 720 cfm rating at the housing and 526 cfm at the tube that with tubes on would not be significantly lighther than blowers that greatly outperform it, based on the numbers provided by the manufacturer.

Did you see this review? "After this was delivered it ran for 5 minutes and has never run again. There appears to be a problem with a pin that controls the fuel intake. The repair shop has been trying to get a replacement part from the manufacturer for over a year. Learned my lesson."

How about this one? "I WAS very happy with this blower until I destroyed it by failing to check the oil frequently enough. As the other reviewers attest, it is quiet, powerful, and heavy."

This one? "This blower should be AVOIDED! It has a life of about 2 months than the engine for all intensive purposes is Dead! Did they even test this thing long term ??

So I brought my shiny new DEAD unit for repair and its covered by warranty.Only problem is that Makita Tool dealers really dont even know how to fix them. So they slap a new carb on and some more new parts and test it for I Guessa minute call me up and say it is ready.I than go on to use it and low and behold it has no power and just dies.

So do i bring it back again? Whats the game plan here ,a few dozen trips to get it fixed than it falls out of warranty next year? So my total useage will be two months and 2 months in repair shop and a month of broken use than the winter and than warranty is gone and I guess i throw it out. $450 Wasted.

I really dont see how Makita can bring this worthless garbage to market ! The core engine design is a trainwreck.I would venture to say this model is completely discontinued or redsigned .Or maybe they will peddle more of these out on unsuspecting customers like myself?"

What about all the ones reporting problems with the carb gasket blowing out?

Personally I think I'll stick with buying my equipment from local dealers who can provide me with support and service.
I see what heresay is in your post all but one did no't say what they walk about they could been talking about a Stihl I will consider this matter closed.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
The 580 is more for heavy debris and has a waist belt. But yes, they are close in performance on that test and their indexes are very close too if you calculate them. The 580 has significantly higher cfm while the 570 has significantly higher mph, likely due largely to different nozzles on the ends. $50 to $80 shouldn't be much of a decision maker on what I consider to be a key piece of lawn care equipment that should give several years of service, in my opinion. My purchase of a 580 has all but eliminated my use of a wheel blower. I originally was considering the Shindaiwa EB802 because I have gotten such great service out of my EB630s, but the exhaust on it seems to make it much less of a blower than it should be. For me it came down to the Shin 802, Echo 770 and Husky 580 and the 580 untimately won.

Here's a short video I made of the 580 in action...should have put some bigger firewood out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgxwaIoSuhg

Here's one with me playing backetball with it. Try that with your Dolmar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oovm_FtUE6k
I know it's off topic but it good.http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen
Old 01-13-2013, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyflyboy30 View Post
That's a great link and it shows what I've known for years. However, now Stihl is using a turbo air cleaning system on their saws too. Still not as good as the original though.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyflyboy30 View Post
I see what heresay is in your post all but one did no't say what they walk about they could been talking about a Stihl I will consider this matter closed.
They were talking about your beloved blower which as far as I can tell you have still never seen or used personally.