Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-11-2013, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My first year in biz and I have an open. Maybe I suffer from, "the grass is always greener" syndrome but I would like to move to the enclosed for security reasons. The pro open guys make some good points for keeping "it in the open".
Old 01-11-2013, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Tracer View Post
Ok so this is my second year running an open trailer after several using enclosed.

Definitely never buy another enclosed.

Too many benefits to open.

The only things I miss about enclosed are better security and more ad space.

Kinda feel sorry for the guys hauling enclosed now.
I feel sorry for the company that only has one trailer.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegomow View Post
My first year in biz and I have an open. Maybe I suffer from, "the grass is always greener" syndrome but I would like to move to the enclosed for security reasons. The pro open guys make some good points for keeping "it in the open".
Yea...it was nice to be able to park it at Home Depot or in my drive and not worry as much about stuff getting stolen..but I keep the trailer indoors now.

Fuelling and trimmer/blower/sprayer/hand tool access are just so much better with the open..

Don't box me in!
Old 01-11-2013, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about you. I drink alot of coffee and piss like crazy. I love my built in bathroom in my enclosed trailer. I dont have to hurry to a gas station or jump in my customer back woods to piss.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There's definately pros and cons to each. No one can say one is really superior to the other. I've only used open trailers in my 15+ years though I still want an enclosed just for the cover for the machines not in use, place to pee, and "security" though that's not a huge issue where I'm at either. The cons I see are accessing things, grabbing a trimmer or edger can be harder since you have to open a door and possibly squeeze past a mower or climb over one to get to them. Fueling would be more difficult obviously, but ordering a trailer with a drivers side door or a fuel door is an option. They are considerably more expensive, double the price at least and tripple to get one with the added doors and better framing, vents, etc. Height is an issue for me, being 6'4" tall, though you can order them taller than standard as well. Weight is also a factor, they are heavier than an open trailer, and you may have to step up to a heavier axle, which then could put you over on your weight maximum into CDL range.

Open trailers it's easy to access anything from about anywhere around the perimeter of the trailer. Trimmer/blower racks face outward and are accessed from the outside of the trailer. Cheaper. Easily modified or repaired generally if you can weld and fabricate. Tool boxes can be added for storage and gas cans and mower fuel tanks can be easily accessed. Can be backed into most garage doors (height wise). Lighter and easier on the truck. Cons are having everything out on the open, easier for someone to steal something unless you use a lot of locks and cables to secure things. When it rains everything you own gets drenched. The sun also is beating on everything all day every day weather it's getting used or not. Better find a bush to pee behind...

Hence why I've yet to make the jump to an enclosed. It's about a $10,000 investment and I really fear having buyers remourse because of the cons I listed. There's quite a few guys locally that use them though and I think they get along with them ok.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2013, 03:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

To the guy who said fueling would take to much time, covering your trailer with a tarp and or taking your equipment off at the end of the day would be much more time spent. My next trailer will be in enclosed.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I could have used and enclosed Friday afternoon, got caught by a surprise rain shower.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegomow View Post
I could have used and enclosed Friday afternoon, got caught by a surprise rain shower.
Tell me you didn't buy those mowers that are made of sugar? Those things melt away to nothing in no time.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Rain won't hurt mowers.

Being in the open air keeps the equipment cleaner.

Don't Box Me In!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just like anything, there is no "worst or best", it depends on your individual needs and preferences. To my knowledge, not a single person in this immediate area that has a mowing/maintenance business has an enclosed trailer. We are in a low crime area, and unlike an urban environment, parking space is not an issue for most guys, so open trailers work well.

Now, if you work in the "hood", and have to store your equipment away from your home in an unsecure or semi-secure area, I can certainly see the benefits of owning an enclosed trailer.