Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-13-2013, 05:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey4671 View Post
I think it also depends on what kind of customer are you after? I may catch some flack for this, but I'm content with 35-40 7-10k sq ft residential lots with upper middle class incomes. I have to look at it this way. A property that is going to bring in $50-$100k a year is going to require a lot of TIME. As a solo operator, if I were to ever lose a client like that (death, relocate due to work, divorce etc) I'd be screwed because now I would have to replace all that income. I think as I said, it all depends on your business model and at least for the foreseeable future, my model which is working great for me at this time is as I stated above. Different strokes for different folks as they say.
Bingo! I knew a very well established company that had three crews and because of the laziness of one crew,he lost half his business overnight and was forced to lay off employees and to sell half of his equipment. He never recovered from those loses and now it's him and just one employee.

The low end to middle class out number the rich by far,so in that regard, I'll stick to the high volume accounts where a few loses won't bankrupt you.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adams View Post
Ok. My assumption is you do not deal with very many multi-million dollar home owners and that is fine. I get the "we are equal" idea - I am not saying one client should be treated like gold and another like dirt. I am simply saying that someone who could potentially spend $20k, $50k or even $100k or more on their landscape maintenance annually is not going to have the same expectations as someone who spends $2,000 a year.

If you don't want to deal with people like that, that is your prereogative - it's your business. I am just saying that if you take the same approach, you will not land many clients who have homes like the pictures I posted above.
I service enough of those homes. enough to know they all seem to be perfectly fine with how I treat them.

I'm saying you CAN take the same approach and I do take the same approach. at least that has been my experience.

mowing are done on a weekly basis. no more, no less (unless a drought). mulch is done once a season. shrubs usually pruned twice a season. leaves cleaned up in the spring and fall. no bumping a lower paying client for a higher paying client. call backs are done when I get to them for everyone. I don't care if you spend $20,000 or $2,000 a year. it's not gonna make me call you back any sooner or place you first in my schedule.

I see what your saying and get it but have experienced just the opposite.