Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-13-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

looking for advice

I have a situation here and I would appreaciate some advice. I am dealing with an 1" 1/2 main and the problem is about 6' from the meter. the meter is not shutting off completley and there is to much water coming out so the glue will not hold. It appears as though they have had the same problem here before as there was already a compressison fitting there and that is where the failure was. Do i just need to see about getting the meter replaced or do i put on another compression fitting, brace it in good and pray over it before i get done? My gut says new meter but if the customer has to pay for it they are not gonna go for it. Sorry there inst a boot in my pic, I forgot.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I had the same problem last year amd the water company covered it because they own the meter. Everything down stream from the meter is consumer owned.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2013, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can't tell where the water is coming from. The meter base is as far as the purveyor will go, as mentioned. No points for lack of boot shots.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Member

The failure is on the compression coupling. Right after it the pipe makes a 90 to the right and that's the side it failed on. I don't really understand why but there 4 runs of electrical wire running with the main.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've had problems with sch 40 threaded ells and quit using them since they are so hard to get tight and aligned at the same time. What's that dweeb brass fitting on the right?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
I had the same problem last year amd the water company covered it because they own the meter. Everything down stream from the meter is consumer owned.
Posted via Mobile Device
Agreed, the purveyor is responsible for the upkeep of their equipment.

Call the purveyor and tell them about the faulty meter. They should address the issue ASAP and then you can do a proper repair.

One way that i would address the leak wovld be to glue a mip/fip and ball valve together, let set. Remove the existing ell and thread the open ball valve in place. Close ball valve and make a dry repair.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2013, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Member

That's the coupler that has failed, the union up top seems to be fine. All the piping of course is thin wall, lord forbid we use sch 40 on an install.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

in the pic, I can see where someone (piker) screwed the fittings in too tight and the line was wracked to begin with. I'd rip the whole assembly from the valve to wherever you can get clean meat; class 200 does not help.
Slip 45's, (pre-aligned with a felt marker) should get you clean and tight. I'd replace the sch 80 union as well, and make sure it was Spears or Lasco. Order a set of "O" rings for the client, and after the bill is paid, he'll be a happy camper, as we say on the road. If you know what you're doing, unions may not be needed.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If the meter isn't real deep you might be able to loosen the discharge union at the meter to relieve the pressure enough to make a decent solvent weld connection. Stick a piece of white bread or a balloon in the pipe to keep the water from dribbling out (if needed).
Old 01-14-2013, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Member

I see lots of previous repairs and installs around here that look very similar to the pic you see in this post. I am about to post a couple in the hackers and pikers thread for review. Thanks for all the help guys, it is much appreaciated. There is a a lot of knowledge to be had here amd I am trying to get all of it I can.