Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-09-2013, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I got a real old one with the motor locked up, I may restore it insted of buying a new one.
The motors seem to mostly be ok. It is the wheels break. The axles break. The safety cable breaks. Throttle cable break. We bag and that breaks. Our motors are going for three years. And they are run 6+ hours a day. We started buying the new mowers when the motor wears out on the old ones and swap out the motors.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
If it is a Robins 2 stroke it might be worth it. I redid one of those last
year and like any 2 stroke it was pretty easy. But it was't locked up.
Its a 3.5 briggs,

Do you know if this would work to repower it???
http://www.harborfreight.com/engines...nia-69731.html
Old 01-09-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
With this many gear failures...I'm wondering why you guys aren't lining up for warranties..
There surely must be a recall on them...

BTW Fish...pig metal...pig iron...is an inferior grade or iron...usually brittle..
They make forklift counterweights out of it....china makes everything out of it..
I know what pig iron is! Pig metal? Never heard of it. I'm assumin' you meant different types of steel, rusted, poor fit-ups etc, no?

......AMF!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by avernon0112 View Post
The motors seem to mostly be ok. It is the wheels break. The axles break. The safety cable breaks. Throttle cable break. We bag and that breaks. Our motors are going for three years. And they are run 6+ hours a day. We started buying the new mowers when the motor wears out on the old ones and swap out the motors.
On the mower I use Ive replace everything at least once, turntable axel bearings front wheels both belts springs and cables. The Subaru engine and the gear box have never been touched. I still use the mower commerically and its over 10 years old

I was going to buy a new one but if they cheapened the gear box it may not be worth it, plus you cant get the Kawasaki anymore, and Robin doest make the eh18 anymore. There fore Im thinking of restoring a mower that was given to me, Im not sure that would be worth it eighter.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I was going to buy a new one but if they cheapened the gear box it may not be worth it, plus you cant get the Kawasaki anymore, and Robin doest make the eh18 anymore. There fore Im thinking of restoring a mower that was given to me, Im not sure that would be worth it eighter.
We welded the gears on today. The gear boxes do not look cheaper in fact they look more heavy duty than the 10 year old one. This failure is apparently a manuf defect. Just not enough interference to hold the gear in place. Maybe the 110F temp we have been operating in has an influence. I heard today that snapper is just about finished as a name brand.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
We welded the gears on today. The gear boxes do not look cheaper in fact they look more heavy duty than the 10 year old one. This failure is apparently a manuf defect. Just not enough interference to hold the gear in place. Maybe the 110F temp we have been operating in has an influence. I heard today that snapper is just about finished as a name brand.
Let us know if that works.

I look at the 21 last year, the feller at the shop said you cant get the Kawasaki anymore since Birggs@Stratton bought them out. He said you can get a Honda but Im not a big fan of Honda. Other than that the mowers "look" basically like they did 20 years ago.

I havent herd that snapper is on its way out, I may still purchase one this year, haven made up my mind yet. If they still made the Subaru Robin engine I buy one yesterday. The Briggs engine has a oil filter and it may be ok.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Let us know if that works.

I look at the 21 last year, the feller at the shop said you cant get the Kawasaki anymore since Birggs@Stratton bought them out. He said you can get a Honda but Im not a big fan of Honda. Other than that the mowers "look" basically like they did 20 years ago.

I havent herd that snapper is on its way out, I may still purchase one this year, haven made up my mind yet. If they still made the Subaru Robin engine I buy one yesterday. The Briggs engine has a oil filter and it may be ok.
We had decision to make last year and looked at snapper with honda engine or straight honda. Ended up buying a cheaper honda then two days later took it back and got the full commericial. Just be careful with those BS and Kaw the recoils don't work very well. I got a 12 year old honda that never had the rope replaced and starts easy.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
We had decision to make last year and looked at snapper with honda engine or straight honda. Ended up buying a cheaper honda then two days later took it back and got the full commericial. Just be careful with those BS and Kaw the recoils don't work very well. I got a 12 year old honda that never had the rope replaced and starts easy.
My current snapper 21c has a Subaru Robin 6.5 and it seems to be bullet proof. They no longer make that engine and havent for years. I never liked Hondas that much and I it doesnt have a oil filter. The Briggs has a oil filter, sometimes it seems Im cutting upside down so a "splash" oil system would last me a year.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
My current snapper 21c has a Subaru Robin 6.5 and it seems to be bullet proof. They no longer make that engine and havent for years. I never liked Hondas that much and I it doesnt have a oil filter. The Briggs has a oil filter, sometimes it seems Im cutting upside down so a "splash" oil system would last me a year.
I can stand corrected but my experience is Honda small engines are simply bullet proof. Even better than the old 2 strokes used on snapper.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When I opened this crankcase there was practically no liquid oil in it at all... And the outside of the case was spotless. So whatever they put in it at the factor is now a gooee substance. Guess i will be checking these more often too.
Attached Images