Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-13-2013, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Any snow last night Mitch? We had an inch up here in the QC. Pretty narrow band, we were very glad to get it. Looks like some areas forecasted for snow were stuck with sleet/rain (chicago). I sure hope there is more winter on the way.

Crazy weather year like you said. No snow, mowing in March (bizarre!), drought, etc. Glad to hear you made it through.

I like the newer crew long, a true worktruck. I don't think I could own another shortbed pickup.

If you're thinking about a piece of equipment, I highly recommend a miniskid (depending on your needs). The miniskid is really easy to get to the jobsite, and is a very versatile machine. I'm suprised at what they are capable of. We only bring our tractor to bigger jobs, and it can be a hassle (worth it for larger jobs).

Everything is looking great!

Good luck this season
Ryan,

We had only freezing rain and sleet. Peoria had a solid sheet where we had only enough to spot salt.

2012 was crazy. Hoping for a good end to this winter and a good summer.

I've considered a Vermeer compact skid but I'd really like to get a stock yard going at my shop so I'm leaning more towards a skid with forks and bucket.

Mitch
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im digging the wheels on the crew cab long bed. Is there a link to that article? I would love to read it.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLND View Post
Someone asked me today what my biggest struggle was right now and honestly its credit. Not every bank wants to hand a 19 y/o the kind of cash I need to build the business. But im working on it! lol

-Mitch
I'm in the exact same boat. I am 19 and trying to grow my business. I just have had to pay cash for everything and take loans from family for bigger items. I hope to have a full time mow crew out this year while I do landscaping and irrigation full time. But its going to be several years till I get to where you are. Needless to say I'm really impressed. Your shop/office is great.
Keep it up!
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

still looking good my friend

Quote:
Hey fellas,

Been a while since ive checked in. Hope everyone is doing good!

Figured id catch you guys up..

What a year 2012!

No snow, started mowing March 5th, terrible drought/heat, minimal snow for December and here we are January 11th, 50 degrees and getting ready for snow tomorrow night

Even through all the crazyness this year, we really got a lot done!

Equipment hasn't changed much. Still got both Chevy K2500's, Bobcat/Wright mowers, etc. Hoping to add a dump trailer here soon and pondering the idea of an enclosed to carry the landscaping tools around, and if things take off like they should, hoping for a tractor or some kind of machine by the end of the year.

Ill add some pictures for you guys.

-Mitch-
craftsman 22 in with bagger
craftsman 42 in rider
BG55 Stihl Leaf Blower
Toro 21 Inch with Bagger
John Deere Z425 with mulch kit
john deer z425 54 in deck
BR600 Stihl Backpack
Stihl FS90 Trimmer With Brush cutter attatchment
Stihl FS-90Trimmer W/Edger attatchment
Stihl fs-90 Trimmer
crap load of hand tools
PA065297
www.dunlapslawncare.com
Old 01-14-2013, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Thanks, its my buddy's but Im hoping to buy one soon.

LawnMan19- Thanks.

Someone asked me today what my biggest struggle was right now and honestly its credit. Not every bank wants to hand a 19 y/o the kind of cash I need to build the business. But im working on it! lol

Happy plowing to all my Illinois friends tonight!

-Mitch
Nice Shop man! and i totally understand I'm 22 and started at 18 and it sucks having to blow your budget to go pay cash for a piece of equip. or needing a credit line to help with cah flow issues, but it will build up, take it slow and pay the notes on time and actually paying cash for trucks and stuff really helps sometimes, I dont have the newest trucks and trailers but, during this seasons drought and last winters snow drought we cruised right on thru with no worries cause we dont owe alot. But, again Great Work!
Old 01-15-2013, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahb195 View Post
Im digging the wheels on the crew cab long bed. Is there a link to that article? I would love to read it.
Thanks man. I posted a few more pictures of the truck. Heres the link. http://www.pjstar.com/business/x1356...old-hand-at-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegyver View Post
I'm in the exact same boat. I am 19 and trying to grow my business. I just have had to pay cash for everything and take loans from family for bigger items. I hope to have a full time mow crew out this year while I do landscaping and irrigation full time. But its going to be several years till I get to where you are. Needless to say I'm really impressed. Your shop/office is great.
Keep it up!
Thanks man. Sounds like you are on the right track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunlaps LawnCare View Post
still looking good my friend
Thanks, buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriderLawn09 View Post
Nice Shop man! and i totally understand I'm 22 and started at 18 and it sucks having to blow your budget to go pay cash for a piece of equip. or needing a credit line to help with cah flow issues, but it will build up, take it slow and pay the notes on time and actually paying cash for trucks and stuff really helps sometimes, I dont have the newest trucks and trailers but, during this seasons drought and last winters snow drought we cruised right on thru with no worries cause we dont owe alot. But, again Great Work!
Thanks! I'd say the shop has been the best move for the business. 15k cars/day pass by. Its on a one-way in the outskirts of downtown and its at a 4-way stop light. Lots of exposure! Yep, as I said the money issue is the biggest set back right now. But i'm working with it.

Heres some more pictures fellas of the truck and a few others.

-Mitch
Attached Images

Chevy Trucks
Western Plow
Sno Ex Spreader
Lesco Fertilizer Equipment
WRIGHT
LawnBoy
STIHL
Old 01-15-2013, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriderLawn09 View Post
but it will build up, take it slow and pay the notes on time and actually paying cash for trucks and stuff really helps sometimes, I dont have the newest trucks and trailers but, during this seasons drought and last winters snow drought we cruised right on thru with no worries cause we dont owe alot. But, again Great Work!
Yeah, that's the nicest thing about paying cash, because even if the work isn't there the bills will still come.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well fellas, where in the heck is the snow?!

Craigslist is full of used blades, some barely used, trucks, spreaders, etc. If someone were wanting to make the investment into the snow business, now is the perfect time to get great deals!

I'm not even thinking about it anymore and just putting 100% efforts into spring. I just bit the bullet and payed my way into a booth for the Peoria Homebuilders Association home show here in Peoria. A pretty penny to spend, especially after the lack of precipitation this past year, but I'm hoping for a great return.

Starting to go through equipment, working on new advertising material, etc. But I would still take a good or a few good snow storms anytime now

Hope everyone is enjoying their time off!

-Mitch

Chevy Trucks
Western Plow
Sno Ex Spreader
WRIGHT
LawnBoy
STIHL
Old 02-10-2013, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Traded the tan 2500 and got this truck...finally! I've been wanting a c4500 for about three years now but they are about as rare as a snow storm around here.

This unit came from Roscoe, Illinois. Kid Cars, Inc. Sweet dealer for anyone looking for a larger vehicle like this. My main dealer here In Central Illinois actually did the deal since Kid Cars didn't want my trade.

2006 GMC C4500
2WD
Duramax/Allison
161k Miles
11' Dump W/Removable Sides

Hope everyone is getting ready for spring!

-Mitch
Attached Images

Chevy Trucks
Western Plow
Sno Ex Spreader
WRIGHT
LawnBoy
STIHL
Old 02-11-2013, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What did you have at that booth at that home show? Did you have a good return? We went to one this past Saturday and I hope to go to it next year.
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.