Register free!

Old 01-21-2011, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Shaw's Products Compared to Others

I am in the process of getting my program ready for the upcoming season. A few suppliers have quoted Shaw's for granular.

I did a little bit of searching on the site and found some old threads that said that Shaw's was a little inferior to EC Grow, Lebanon, etc. Is this true?

Does anyone use Shaw's? If so, how are your results?
Old 01-21-2011, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

We had used shaws for 10 years, up til last year. The last couple of years we used it we had problems with quality. Some of our fertilizer was sticky and didnt flow of the hopper correctly, the sgn was irregular, and we had a lot of wood chips in the bags. ( we actually sent almost an entire semi back to shaws cause of the quatlity) We asked shaws what the problem was and they said they had a new quality control guy... hmm... They also were very hard to get credits from for damaged products.

We switched to Lebanon last year and was very pleased with their MESA products! Good quality product. A little more expensive, but worth it!
Old 01-21-2011, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinslawnsvc View Post
We had used shaws for 10 years, up til last year. The last couple of years we used it we had problems with quality. Some of our fertilizer was sticky and didnt flow of the hopper correctly, the sgn was irregular, and we had a lot of wood chips in the bags. ( we actually sent almost an entire semi back to shaws cause of the quatlity) We asked shaws what the problem was and they said they had a new quality control guy... hmm... They also were very hard to get credits from for damaged products.

We switched to Lebanon last year and was very pleased with their MESA products! Good quality product. A little more expensive, but worth it!
PM me when you have the chance.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-22-2011, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Has anyone else used Shaw's recently?
Old 01-23-2011, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Tried Shaw's years ago and hated the quality. Then when fert went through the roof in 07 I tried them again and still hated it. Never again. I Use Agrium or Spring Valley only at this point. If I run out and need some quickly, I might to to JDL in emergency.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I started using Shaw's/Knox fertilizer last year. I was using Lesco prior to that. I actually like the Shaw's/Knox fertilizer better and I will be using it again this year, early ordered 7 pallets. I been using XRT (extended release technology) for my coated nitrogen. I have been been extremely pleased XRT product.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Very poor product and lawn damage with no response from Shaws

We bought a semi load of 30-0-10 50% XRT this product did more damage then good to out lawns Lots of burns lawns. We used this product and also a 50% Ploy coated lesco product and a 60% uflexx spring valley product all applications where made at same time frame and by the same applicators. The only product that burned lawns was the Shaws XRT product. This happened on Irrigated lawns and with in 4 days of the application being made. The Shaws rep came out and said it was not bad product even though our sale rep from our supplier said he had more then us have failure of the product and that Shaw's Rep said the same thing to others. Even after many emails to Mark Shaw the response we got was its not the product. He also could not understand why we would have been even using the lesco and the spring valley product at the same time guess he could not explain why only their product burned and their competitors products didn't. WELL MARK SHAW YOUR PRODUCT FAILED AND THE OTHER TWO DIDN'T'T WE WILL NEVER BUY SHAWS PRODUCTS AGAIN .

Buyers beware Shaws is now the blender for all LESCO / JOHN DEERE FERTILIZER PRODUCTS effective Jan 2013