Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-13-2013, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Employee Pay Idea

So last year I ran into the all to common issue of employees breaking equipment and not showing up to work on time.
I was thinking of a way to give an employee more responsibility of his pay, hoping this would weed out employees who just are here cause its a job and motivate the employee who respects the equipment, shows up on time, and wants to grow in his career.

I tell my employees all the time that if they take care of the equipment then that money that would have been used for a repair could go into their pockets instead. I work hard and most of my employees do too and I believe that hard work should be rewarded. The employee respecting equipment and showing up on time should get more than his coworker who constantly shows up late and doesn't take care of equipment. But how do I motivate these good habits?

The Idea:
So I thought of a hourly base pay plus a 25% equipment bonus (paid monthly) and a 10% on time bonus (paid weekly). The percentage of bonus is based off the hourly rate.
Example: Hourly rate: $10.00+ equip (25%) $2.50 + on time $1.00 (10%)= $13.50
If equipment breaks from misuse or disrespect or they are late then the bonus would not be paid and they would have to wait till the next bonus cycle. You can also use the equipment bonus to help pay for repairs if something was broken that month.
The motivated employee would be able to earn $13.50 while the other employee would make less or just the base $10.

What do you guys think?
Also to my understanding bonuses are optional and this is all legal but if am in error please let me know before I implement this. I am in Maryland.

Tags
employee pay