Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 01-14-2013, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Uneven cut 54" FST

I bought a new 54" FST last year and struggled all year to get a nice consistent, level cut....I realize its winter, I was out working in the shop today, had to move tHe mower and just thought about it.

I have flex forks, run 12 psi in the front tires, 10 psi in the back. I have tried a level deck, pitched forward 1/8", standard blades, hi lift blades, discharge chute on, discharge chute off, different cutting heights and combinations of all of them.

Best combo so far, is the deck pitched forward half a hair, with the low lift blades on trim and center spindles, hi lift on the discharge with the engine turning just over 3500 rpm, cutting at 3.25 inches. I have as much weight taken off the assist springs as I can to try to keep the deck from bouncing and mow at less than 3 mph (figured using a landscape mowing calculator...2.5 acre property, less buildings, planting beds, and driveway, I figure I mow right at 1.5 acres in two hours). I still have a lot of stragglers and a wave pattern that appears with no real consistency.

I have three sets of blades, the deck is cleaned, sharpened blades are installed, tires and oil checked, level is checked on a concrete floor before every mow...what else can I do? I'm tired of having to double cut around the house!
Old 03-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Sponsor

Gentlemen,
If you could forward me an email or a PM with your contact info I would be able to get some eyes on your issue. We have people in the field that might be helpful in these cutting issues. I have a list a mile long on adjustments and settings for different cutting challenges, getting someone on site shortens that list.

Brian O
hustlermidwest@aol.com
Old 04-26-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Good to know

This is good info to know. Have had issues in the past no one wanted to help with and I ended up trading several Hustlers that would not cut level. Next issue, I will contact you.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Sponsor

90% of the issues can be resolved with adjustments, 5% are due to damage but that leaves 5% that I just don't have that quick answer to.
Nobody like not to be heard when they have an issue. If you have an issue and need help I feel you should be heard. I can't fix everything but I'll try.

Brian O
Old 05-15-2013, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes with the style decks that are on the Mini Z,Super Duties, FasTraks, Sports, etc, we have found they will discharge and cut better with the front of the deck slightly higher than the rear. May sound crazy, but it has worked for many people.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Member

I put a 4" piece of belt across the back of the deck to try to increase suction and get the grass to stand up better.....give all the rain and a slight mis-calibration of my new fertilizer spreader (close to 3x rate of 42-00-00) my grass was GREEN, wispy and being mowed every 2-3 day for the last month....I didn't think that was the best conditions to try and set the deck.

I'll give it a shot and see happens, I didn't have this issue with my last FST and it doesn't seem like the deck has changed? The dealer may have to make a service call.....homeowners tinkering with stuff and getting everything out of whack is covered by the warranty, right?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok, pitched the deck back to the point that I can see three distinct troughs from the cutting with the backs of the blades and started moving forward a little at a time.

I have the deck completely level with 2 psi less in the back tires. The cut is better, but there's still a lot of room for improvement. Guess its time for a service call.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm tired of fighting this god forsaken thing....68 hours on it, and I still have yet to have an acceptable first cutting!

Have the issues been rectified on the VX4 deck? I surrender...I'm going to start looking...
Old 05-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Sponsor

Shoot me a private message with your contact info and I'll have the Illinois rep call you.

Brian O
Old 05-28-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm having similar issues with month old Fastrak Superduty...let me know if you find any solutions...