Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-14-2013, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

How many stones? The flat ones are easier until they settle and become harder to edge.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southscapes03 View Post
you have to add back in the months that i ride through and just look at it on my way to the office and pick up my check.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's what I guessed - NOW we're talkin!!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorum03 View Post
oh yeah youre probably right. Still that seems like really solid money to me as I am new to the lawn care community as of last year.

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
Tread lightly. What seems like great money to be making turns into small time quick if you don't know how to manage a business. In other words, don't let the "size" of the money impair your judgement on bidding job correctly. You think it's to good to be true that you can make a lot of money on a given job so you wind up bidding it too low. Basically I'm saying, don't leave money on the table. Don't expect to get every bid you place. If you do, you're pricing them too low.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Tread lightly. What seems like great money to be making turns into small time quick if you don't know how to manage a business. In other words, don't let the "size" of the money impair your judgement on bidding job correctly. You think it's to good to be true that you can make a lot of money on a given job so you wind up bidding it too low. Basically I'm saying, don't leave money on the table. Don't expect to get every bid you place. If you do, you're pricing them too low.

Yeah that makes sense. Today I am going to look at like 7 smaller residential properties in St. Paul and I'm seriously doubting any of these places will have much of a yard. Some of them may only take 5 minutes to do. How do I bid on something like that. Its a little bit of a drive for me to get to the places that I have to mow, but they are all within about a mile of each other so I could zip through them pretty fast. But since it is a longer drive is it worth it for me to bid a little higher and say, if I get it great, if not, I can get more work thats worth more money closer to home?

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
2014 John Deere Z920M
2011 Husqvarna 5424 ZTR
(2) Craftsman Push Mowers
Stihl trimmers
Echo Blowers
6x10 open utility trailer
6x12 Enclosed Trailer
YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com

Old 01-14-2013, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

$39.00 without fuel cost
Old 01-14-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Tread lightly. What seems like great money to be making turns into small time quick if you don't know how to manage a business. .
Thank you!!! My point exactly.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Average is $68
Old 01-14-2013, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorum03 View Post
Yeah that makes sense. Today I am going to look at like 7 smaller residential properties in St. Paul and I'm seriously doubting any of these places will have much of a yard. Some of them may only take 5 minutes to do. How do I bid on something like that. Its a little bit of a drive for me to get to the places that I have to mow, but they are all within about a mile of each other so I could zip through them pretty fast. But since it is a longer drive is it worth it for me to bid a little higher and say, if I get it great, if not, I can get more work thats worth more money closer to home?

YardBros Outdoors
www.yardbros.com
Gotta build the travel time into the prices. However, when I was first starting out I pretty much ignored travel time, willing to work anywhere I could and hope that I'd pick up other accounts from friends/neighbors in the immediate area. I'll still take an account a bit off the beaten path and might even give them a really attractive price, if and only if I think it's an exceptional opportunity to get a foothold in a desirable location. I consider it a marketing expense, although it's technically not.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
How many stones? The flat ones are easier until they settle and become harder to edge.
Dude, I couldn't even begin to tell you how many stones, but it grows every week it seems!!!! This is one of the only field without any stones on it on the property, but the rest of the property is striped just the same.
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

^^^ Looks good