Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-08-2012, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socty View Post
Well Gene if that's true then he should be charging just as much if not more to pay for that new fancy equipment. I'd love to know where he works because I want to move to a place where costs and expenses go down or stay the same for six years running.
Posted via Mobile Device
If he did a job that took 6 hours last year, bought new equipment to do the same job in 3 hours this year, and charged the same price as last year, didn't he just raise his profit this year, for that same job, by half of the time it took last year?
Old 12-08-2012, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What concern of yours is it really, socty?
61" Wright zk
ASV SR 70
Takeuchi 135
Kubota 7610 40" rotadarion
20' enclosed 10k lawncare trailer
18' aluminum 12k equipment trailer
35hp Giant Vac leaf loader
Old 12-08-2012, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Wow yard guy you ever plan to retire.?! Nobody keeps the prices same for six years Unless they want to go out of business. So either you're really expensive or is just a matter of time till you go belly up
Posted via Mobile Device
nope no plan to ever retire.

oh I raise prices but I have yet to raise prices on existing clients. so far all clients who have hired me have remained at the rate hired in at.

plus like the other guys said sometimes my efficiency goes up if I get new or better equipment. otherwise I spend roughly the same amount time each season using the same equipment on the fall clean ups.

also we live different lives I'm sure. I work to make money to pay for the necessities in live and bank anything leftover. you probably work to make money to pay for necessities and spent what's left on the wants in life. so your gonna want more money left over after necessities than I am.

Last edited by yardguy28; 12-08-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Well Gene if that's true then he should be charging just as much if not more to pay for that new fancy equipment. I'd love to know where he works because I want to move to a place where costs and expenses go down or stay the same for six years running.
Posted via Mobile Device
You can come to Maine, we've had accounts that have stayed the same for over 6 years.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven1277 View Post
What concern of yours is it really, socty?
Hey Sven get a real name like Ahole. It's none of my concern. Just my opinion
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-09-2012, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

and opinions are like @ssholes. everyone has one.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

And we wonder why posts get deleted? Grow up guys!
Old 12-09-2012, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

sven has a point though. what concern of it is his if I want to keep my prices the same?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Roll Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDLandscapes VT View Post
That is AWESOME!! I am running a couple of dump trucks with 24 cubic foot boxes for leaf season right now. They are our regular flat bed rigs in the grass season with treated plywood boxes built for leaf season. I'd love to increase the load size though. Are you carrying 40 yard containers? How long does can you work without dumping? Has the benefit covered the cost over however you were doing it before?
Old 12-09-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with those who state that cleanups and vac removal prices can vary from year to year due in no small part to the weather. If you quote someone a price for vacuuming their leaves on day 1 they may not get back to you until day 4 and if it rained or there were freezing temps it is going to take you more time. The vacs that most of us are using cannot handle drenched leaves because they just clog up, so even if they are fluffy on top by the time that you get to the bottom it can be a nightmare. I price all of my jobs by the minute. This way I charge exactly the right amount and the customer pays a fair price. This is not likely to work for new customers so we are all just guestimating and hoping that we come out on top. I have worked out a formula based on the man hours to actually vac the leaves, and to drive round trip to dump them, equipment and vehicle costs and fuel. I have a 19 yd capacity truck that takes 1.25 man hours to fill (we can a lot more in if days go by between jobs), 23 hp loader (1.25g per hr) and although dumping is free it takes me 1.5 man hours round trip to dump. If you ever wonder how much you should apportion to equipment costs see how much rental companies charge and extrapolate- they've figured this all out. Based on these calculations I charge $2.60 per minute. I am not leaving any money on the table and I have a rational determination for a competitive charge. I don't have a minimum but, I'm not going to go out of my way for a $20 job. I'll hit it when I pass by to another job.