Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have gained a few customers in a steakhouse bar but it was inadvertently - summer-time seasonal customers mentioned about landscaping and the bartender knows me and gave a card. Depends on the establishment and it's clientele. Personally I wouldn't make a point to do this - but if I see a good current customer out somewhere I might buy them a drink (or glass of wine which probably most of them would be sipping! lol)

Jason
Old 01-14-2013, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We don't really have bars here. There's one or two places that charge admission to get in but the rest of the drinking establishments are clubs and you gotta be a member to get in. It's very bizarre. They also don't have any "by the drink" places either. You gotta buy the whole bottle. You can get beer by the drink but not spirits.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Member

thats a GREAT Idea!!! I will try it this week at one of the high class restaurants/ bar on Lake Norman for happy hour. I will call it a BG discount double check special. thanks i will let you know how it goes. If you want to grow your business in these tough times you have to think outside of the BOX!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I only use a bar for it's intended purpose.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That was a nice gesture of you. It must have been a good night! How's your new job going that you got. You still doing that and are you going to hold on to it in the spring?
Old 01-14-2013, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gt331 View Post
That was a nice gesture of you. It must have been a good night! How's your new job going that you got. You still doing that and are you going to hold on to it in the spring?
Trying to do both. I landed some work at my bosses house that I work nights with. Crazy hours. They wanted me after a month full time and like an idiot I said I still have my landscaping business. They told me it would be guranteed 40 hrs, Health, Dental, Pension after 30 years, and the pay would be $23HR-$30HR and of course during certain months you work 60HRS-80HRS in a week. Most of the guys have been there from 5 years, 10 years and one that has been there for 33 years. The business from what I hear keeps growing.

I am still part time doing inventory for a major Liqour warehouse but they rotate and one day you can be loading 10,000 boxes of wine to calling out numbers on a sheet to load up the product on the mills to doing the labor work as well.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."

Last edited by soloscaperman; 01-14-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I used to think that sort of idea was a good idea. But I've gone away from it over the years.

I go through the drive-thru brushless car wash with my truck every 3 days or so, just to keep it looking clean and sharp. And when I went through, I used to pay the guy for two full service washes and tell the clerk, "Tell the person behind me that this one is on me." Obviously, they're already seeing my company name as they look forward, so no need to give a card. Sometimes that would produce a call. But often times not.

The real reason I stopped doing that was because I came to the thinking that it was fairly cheesy to try to "buy" someone's business. I just don't think that's the proper way of going about business. I prefer the more traditional approach. You put your name out there (truck lettering, flyers, yellow pages, website, whatever you feel works for you) and then you wait for people who are looking for landscaping to find you. I prefer that method. It just seems a little less like a bribe and more professional. So I finally stopped doing that.

Now I'll still buy a meal for any military, police officers or firefighters if I am out and about and I see them eating nearby. Often times I don't even let the waiter tell them who bought the meal. But that's different. I'm not usually in my work uniform when I do it and I'm not doing it in an attempt to buy their business. I'm doing it thank them for their service. Buying a meal, beer, car wash, etc. in the hope that they will call you for business just feels a little too much like a bribe to me. That's just my personal feelings. I don't think it's unethical for others to do. Just for me it doesn't feel professional.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 01-15-2013, 05:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

until the next guy at the guy at the bar passes out cards.....
Old 01-15-2013, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If it works great, do it. However you haven't gained any clients only prospects. Hard to say how well this form of marketing will work on the first try. Keep buying beers for a while and let us know if it's really paying off. It's a creative approach but more testing is needed before it's a proven profitable marketing technique. IMHO