Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-15-2013, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We do a lot of cemetaries. As someone mentioned, the specifics of the services in the contract will help you with pricing. My advice, if the cemetary is older than the 1930's at its inception walk away. The oldest cemetary we do is from the 1730's and some of the stones are just rocks scattered around, and we are responsible for damages to the stones. The newer ones are well aligned and make mowing/trimming A LOT easier. Good luck.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Smallstipes
Why did the church contact you? What happened to the prior lco
Old 01-16-2013, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
Smallstipes
Why did the church contact you? What happened to the prior lco
I rode by to check it out and the head stones are all over the place and it looks like a lot of trimming and theres some wooded areas around the church that didnt have much grass. Im not sure what happened but I can tell he was hoping for a good price so maybe hes trying to.find someone cheaper.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Member

If you need the work bid it as if it will take you all day , the price may be high but we have some cemeteries that pay big money because they simply can not find some one else to do it , that way you do not have to turn down the offer but you may get lucky and land a huge contract. Question for you guys that do alot of cemeteries , any advice on speeding up the trimming?
Old 01-17-2013, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Every cemetery is different. We tell our guys to break the cemetery into blocks (usually from access road to acces road.) Some are faster to trim the rows, others it is faster to start at one end of the block and trim as you go. The best way to improve time is repetition, have the guys trimming start at the same spot and do it the same way every time. This way they know which stone needs to be done next, this also help to eliminate missing stones while trimming.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Every cemetery is different. We tell our guys to break the cemetery into blocks (usually from access road to acces road.) Some are faster to trim the rows, others it is faster to start at one end of the block and trim as you go. The best way to improve time is repetition, have the guys trimming start at the same spot and do it the same way every time. This way they know which stone needs to be done next, this also help to eliminate missing stones while trimming.
cool will give it a try this summer , i think now they mainly go by the rows , but they do miss stones and sections especially if I am not there , I was curious if you know any one that uses those z trimmer things that goes on a mower , one of my guys has been lobying for one , they are not to bad as far as price but maybe im old school but im not shure they would work for cemeteries , do you guys use anything like that. Thanks Again for the advice.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have a link for the trimmer? I've never used one, but then again a lot of our cemeteries are too small for our Z's.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Do you have a link for the trimmer? I've never used one, but then again a lot of our cemeteries are too small for our Z's.
no link but peco sells it online its called a z trimmer , my guy first saw it on a you tube video , he tend to think it will cut down on the trimming they have to do and all I can picture is them spending hours on the zero turns trying to trim with those things and causing damage to the head stones and stuff , i was curious if anyone is using them? seems like a decent idea for fence lines though. Thanks
Old 01-17-2013, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just watched one of the youtube videos, no way would I use that in a cemetery, or around trees. The only use for it I see is vert trimming along sidewalks, or like you said a long fenceline.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
I rode by to check it out and the head stones are all over the place and it looks like a lot of trimming and theres some wooded areas around the church that didnt have much grass. Im not sure what happened but I can tell he was hoping for a good price so maybe hes trying to.find someone cheaper.
Posted via Mobile Device

Since you are a member of the church, he probably thinks you are going to give him a special rate or even do it for free.