Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-15-2013, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adams View Post
I am all for the solo-operator - it is a choice and a lifestyle. I am not knocking it by any stretch.

One thing I have always talked about though is the "what-if" scenario, and in this industry, it is a very possible what-if....

What if you get hurt? Break your foot and can't work for 6 weeks?
What if you hurt your back? Many people in this industry have experienced this, myself included.

To be honest, some of the most successful business owners I speak with and work with absolutely HATE this kind of work. They started out doing the work and realized very early on they did not like it, but they liked being in business for themselves, employing and managing people, and providing a needed service people appreciate.

"What if"

Theres risk in in all business, having employees increases risk. Everyones business model is different and thats the beauty of lawncare, solo guys can build a business that suits them and those that choose to get big can tackle that route.
I would think that someone who "hates" this line of work, but was a good salesman could to far better selling cars, no joke.

Good thred, solo or having a large company still beat working for the man anyday
Old 01-15-2013, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

You hit the nail on the head Sean. I decided this year (year #5) I'm going big and leaving solo behind. I could try and figure out my own plan for doing this, or I could emulate a proven system....got one in your back pocket? I won't do a franchise, I have more work than I can handle now & have no intention of giving any away for "national recognition". So come on man, throw me a bone...
Old 01-15-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
good thred, solo or having a large company still beat working for the man anyday
exactly!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm trying to bridge the gap between doing work with part time help and actually hiring a skilled worker or two and taking a true owners role. Its just hard to make that leap hoping i will sell and schedule enough work etc. please do your next post on this please!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care View Post
You hit the nail on the head Sean. I decided this year (year #5) I'm going big and leaving solo behind. I could try and figure out my own plan for doing this, or I could emulate a proven system....got one in your back pocket? I won't do a franchise, I have more work than I can handle now & have no intention of giving any away for "national recognition". So come on man, throw me a bone...
I could direct you to all of my web sites for the "full length feature film", but here is a helpful movie trailer for you....

1.) Advertise at all times, never stop
2.) Hire right, train right
3.) Implement a system for every aspect of your business
4.) Know your numbers - all of them
5.) Treat your customers as best you can
6.) Invest in your business when it makes sense
7.) Use the internet
8.) Keep learning
9.) Continue your industry education
10.) Be careful where you get your business advice
Old 01-15-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
I'm trying to bridge the gap between doing work with part time help and actually hiring a skilled worker or two and taking a true owners role. Its just hard to make that leap hoping i will sell and schedule enough work etc. please do your next post on this please!
Posted via Mobile Device
I will work on that and get it posted. I have already created some detailed information within the lawn letter (shameless plug), so I will dig through and see if I can make a helpful, sensible post here as well.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Already get the lawn letter, so thanks again. But yes another focused post would be great.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2013, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would say my dad is the buisness owner. And I am the landscaper. I make sure everything gets done right and is set to our standards. Then daddy makes sure we get paid and sends us off to the next job.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So would going back out at 8:30pm in a light drizzle to double check my measurements and numbers on a $15k landscape install, to make sure everything is on key, make me a landscaper or business owner?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2013, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Member

I am gratefull to Sean and Lawnsite for all the info over the years. But I'm just a solo operator. I don't want to be a business owner. Especially in lawncare. Have you checked out the labor pool you have to pick from?

I think we need a checklist on how to be successful solo operator.

Tags
lawnbusinessreport.com , lawncaresuccess.com , sean adams