Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-01-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinerCutslawnCare View Post
I have always found residential clients can be very tricky. Most of our residential will be done after 2 inches of snow, but during a 13" event they only want to pay for one time but have the drive and walks be clear all the time. What is one supposed to do? Either wait until the end of the storm when there is 13" on the driveway, this will take a lot more time and may take heavier equipment. Or does one go back every 3 hours and clear just the drive, because they sure as heck don't want to pay for you coming back every time. This is why I like to sub it out Although we have certain ways of doing things, im sure there is always room for improvement. We will plow a residential driveway every 3 inches if it is an ongoing event and charge per push, or if they don't care then we will come after the event is over.
In my contract, it states that the client acknowledges there may be more than 1 visit per storm and that it'll be plowed by either 5pm and/or 6am depending on what time the snow falls. Takes out the confusion with clients and mine understand it. We had a 13" storm earlier in Dec, I did resi's 3 times (snow started at 1am Sat night/Sun morn and went until late Sun night, so one before Sun morning, one during late evening and then cleaned up on Mon morning) except one of them only twice as that client pays based on depth and I waited until the storm was done for the second push. The one that complains the most actually sent her payment via bill pay before I even sent the invoice! Hopefully there aren't more complaints and I don't have to explain to them the contract terms that they should have read in the first place.

I need to buy a house w/ land first but I'm trying to decide which is more efficient, to have a one ton dump truck w/ leaf box and a leaf vac on the mower's trailer tongue for clean ups or what you have, a dump trailer with leaf vac on it. I'm assuming you take two trucks and two trailers when you used your mowers on clean ups? I'm just trying to figure out whether I'd want 1 dump truck & trailer or two trucks and two trailers. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for the dump trailer?
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.

Last edited by JContracting; 01-01-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey FinerCut's I remember you did EDDM last season believe. What type of turnaround did you get from it? Also, how many mail outs did you do. I have about 2,000 going out last week of the month. I'm hoping to get at least 30 plus customers from it.
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500
7x14 OPEN TRAILER
5x10 OPEN TRAILER
36" HUSTLER ZTR
48" SCAG ZTR
61" SCAG TT ZTR
1 SRM 266T ECHO TRIMMER
1 SRM 2601 ECHO TRIMMER
1 PE 200 ECHO STICK EDGER
1 PB 770H ECHO BLOWER
1 PB 413H ECHO BLOWER
2 21" SNAPPER WALK BEHIND
1 22" TORO WALK BEHIND
1 ECHO SHC 225S HEDGE TRIMMER
1 ECHO CHAINSAW
Old 01-16-2013, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think they say anywhere between 1-3% return. Im not sending anything out until atleast first week of march. I think I landed about 10-12 new clients, phone calls from them...atleast 40-50.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey man, how many accounts do you have now? You still solo? And what's the fastest way you grew your accounts? Thanks man!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMmmkay View Post
Hey man, how many accounts do you have now? You still solo? And what's the fastest way you grew your accounts? Thanks man!
DC, I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner. I haven't been on here for awhile but more on plowsite. I am making the switch back today.

To answer your question I believe right now we have around 120 but don't quote me on that. This was last year and I would say 98% of my clients stay with me every year. The other 2% is normally them not being able to afford lawncare anymore, buying there own mower, or someone moving.

Up until last spring I never did any advertising besides word of mouth and a sign in my yard. The spring post cards worked pretty good and I landed a decent amount of new accounts, some full service, others just maintenance here and there. Last spring i sent out 5,000, this spring I plan on sending out 10,000. They say the average return rate on something like this is between 1-3%. I would say it is closer to 1%. On that note the 1% would have a 75% land rate. One reason I think I have come so far with my company is growing slowly. Don't get in over your head and do what you do best. This year we are doing stricly turf and landscape maintenance.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey FinerCuts, how many crews do you have? Do you just have 1 crew? If so, how many is in your crew?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2013, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any updates?
Old 07-26-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Member

yeah any updates? this was a cool thread
Old 07-26-2013, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

he hasn't been on here since 3-21-13
Old 11-03-2013, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys, haven't been on here much but I do have plenty of pics to post soon. I can't at the moment beings I am in South Dakota on a hunting trip, but I will be sure to get on here and get them posted soon!