Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-15-2013, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

i dont mean to sound like a azz but i thought of every angle before i sold the zrt. i know some people might say go buy a used engine and put it on and be back to work. well #1 i dont have time for down time like that as i already have my back up/ cleanup mower down for deck bearings, #2 i dont have that kind of cash to shell out right now to replace the engine. if i was going to spend that kind of cash why not use it for a down payment on a new one. again, i dont want to go in debt again right now. some guys out here may have the money but i dont. im a solo operation here in a town with about 2000 other lawn care companys so business is not as good as other locations. and im not here for someone who felt i made a bad decision tells me i done something wrong. again thanks for the concern but iv got this under control!!! oh for those who may think after reading this im getting wound up over this whole thing im not at all even though it may seem that way but i dont know how else to word it without beating around the bush.

1984 Chevy K10 4x4
2013 6.5x12 kaufman open utility
Bobcat 54'' walk behind
John Deere lx102 (for fall cleanup's)
Stihl Ms 250 Chainsaw
Stihl HS 81T hedge trimmer
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Stihl FC 90 Edger
Husqvarna 350 BT Backpack blower

Last edited by Phelps_lawncare; 01-15-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelps_lawncare View Post
to each there own but i disagree. i had a hydro z with over 4000 hrs on it with a blown engine.

i bought a belt drive walk behind with 2'' bigger deck, 870 hrs on it and needed a $18 part

lets do some math

replace blown engine with new one because block is cracked -
30hp kawasaki - $3,285.00
2 weeks down time waiting for engine - $1250.00 ( three accounts i had lined up next week)

Total - Negative $4,535.00

54'' walk-behind - $650.00
belt - $18
to do three accounts after expenses taken out - $950.00
cash left over form selling zrt - $850.00

total - Positive $1,782.00

i completly disagree. im making money selling the zrt as i would be in the hole if i kept it!!! thanks for the concern though!
I think that you did the right thing and I would probably do the same in this situation as you, BUT you have to remember the productivity decrease, belt drive vs hydro ztr. You will have to work slower to get the same job done.

Congrats on the new machine!

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 01-16-2013, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No, you don't sound like an A##. You did the research and weighed your options and decided what was best for you. Good luck with the mower.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Member

kkane i do understand the decrease in productivity, but with winter downtime i did find the best option for me right now. i have been in business since 07 part time and worked as a ase master auto mechanic full time. i finally decided to go full time march of 2012 and did great my first year full time. i have built up a very good customer base since then and have some really great clean up jobs between now and april. if all plans out and my calculations are right i should be able to buy a new zrt by may or june. im not trying to rush things even though i do have the work to cover the extra cost but again spring times not here yet so im not jumping into buying a new mower right now. and i also just bought new trimmers and blowers 3 weeks ago which set me back a good chunk. but again im just playing it safe to get me to spring then ill worry about upgrading.

1984 Chevy K10 4x4
Bobcat 54'' walk behind
Stihl Ms 250 Chainsaw
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Stihl FC 90 Edger
Old 01-16-2013, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

good buy. but things like this are the reason i have 2 backup mowers.

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 01-16-2013, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Member

if the money was there i would do as you said and have a few backup's but i have only been full time a year so only time will tell if i ever get there or not! lol

1984 Chevy K10 4x4
Bobcat 54'' walk behind
Stihl Ms 250 Chainsaw
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Stihl FC 90 Edger
Old 01-16-2013, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelps_lawncare View Post
kkane i do understand the decrease in productivity, but with winter downtime i did find the best option for me right now. i have been in business since 07 part time and worked as a ase master auto mechanic full time. i finally decided to go full time march of 2012 and did great my first year full time. i have built up a very good customer base since then and have some really great clean up jobs between now and april. if all plans out and my calculations are right i should be able to buy a new zrt by may or june. im not trying to rush things even though i do have the work to cover the extra cost but again spring times not here yet so im not jumping into buying a new mower right now. and i also just bought new trimmers and blowers 3 weeks ago which set me back a good chunk. but again im just playing it safe to get me to spring then ill worry about upgrading.
I understand exactly, I think that it was the right decision
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2013, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkane97 View Post
I think that you did the right thing and I would probably do the same in this situation as you, BUT you have to remember the productivity decrease, belt drive vs hydro ztr. You will have to work slower to get the same job done.

Congrats on the new machine!
That may or may not be true depending on the yard. use some of that left over cash to buy a nice 2 wheeled sulky (Jungle Wheels by Jungle Jim are the best ive used, and ive used them all)

nice buy, for that price you did not lose at all.

14 Years old
Old 01-16-2013, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

good luck with the machine looks like a solid machine. and when the money comes in you can get yourself a good ztr and have a walkbehind back up. Good buy!!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

PL,

I'm not judging or giving you chat at all, to each his own and if you are happy with your decision then great.

I guess the way i see it and i may be wrong but you had a 30 Kaw on a 52" deck, you could easily replace it with a 23HP to 30HP which will run you anywhere from 700 to 2500 (Kohler, Kaw, Vanguard). Lots of room to play with and an engine swap is really easy.

I wouldn't have rebuilt your Z's engine either and it wouldn't be cost effective however i feel belt driven walks are just to inefficient, but what do i know.

The only positive i see is you minimized your down time with is so very crucial which is why backups are almost a necessity.

Anyhow, hope it all works out. I believe you will miss your Z tho....

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution