Register free!

Old 01-15-2013, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Vanguard 16hp v twin LT Rich review?

Evening gents. I am putting in a order for junior 36 z spray this week. They come with the 16 horse v twin Vanguard. I was always under the impression that Briggs products were crap. Anyone run this motor to the test? Thousands of hours, problems with them?

I'm a Kohler, Honda, Kawasaki guy

Need help
Old 01-15-2013, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Vanguard isnt really a briggs engine. Its a partnership and a great engine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2013, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a 2009 and a 2011 model that both have the Vanguards on them. The only issue that I have had on them is the stator located under the flywheel.

As we all know, fert dust is hard on any equipment, especially a ride-on. This motor seems to suck it in and some ends up sticking to the stator coils(exposed copper wires). Oxidation eventually does it's thing and turns them green and well... I think you get the picture. I have right at 1000 hrs on the 2009 and have had my local service guy put them on parts/labor $120. I have had 4 of them put on during its time with me. This is the only issue I have ever had.

Z-spray used to build them with Kawasakis and at the time I purchased the 2009 I had a choice either/or. They told me they were having problems with Kawasaki and warranty issues so they were in the middle of the changeover.
I don't know, maybe fert dust was affecting them in some way too...

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 01-16-2013, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I just wanted to add a couple more things. The machine is awesome in every way and luckily, my service guy takes care of me quick the few times there was a problem.

I would love to see #1 the stator more protected, #2 a filtered "snorkel" for the intake on the motor or #3 some sort of shield/hood system to protect the motor compartment more. The first 2 would be the most desireable.

My advice is to use high quality, low dust ferts and you will have hundreds of hrs of worry free service.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 01-16-2013, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks that helps. I'm really tempted to buy the new 36R for less weight to put on a hitch rack. But you give up a lot as well, like hose real, fert trays, and flood nozzles. I think if you use a double hitch and even weld on a third support, it would be ok to put the regular junior 36 on.

Too risky?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I get tired of hearing everyone jump on the Briggs sucks bandwagon. They build a great series of engines and always have. You don't stay in business for over 100 years and build 10 million engines a year if you're building crap or not standing behind your product.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't want you to think I am slamming the vanguard in any way. I was merely pointing out the one problem I've had with the motor and the possibilities I thought would best solve it. By the number of posts, it appears no one else has had this problem or any other problem with the vanguard for that matter.

The OP asked for a review. I thought I'd be honest...

I have had zero issues with the Z as a unit. For instance I am still running the original 4gpm pump on the 2009. I work these machines hard and for the most part, they take anything I throw at them and chew it up.

To the OP
You gotta have the hose reel. I like the 100ft of 1/4inch hose best.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
I don't want you to think I am slamming the vanguard in any way. I was merely pointing out the one problem I've had with the motor and the possibilities I thought would best solve it. By the number of posts, it appears no one else has had this problem or any other problem with the vanguard for that matter.

The OP asked for a review. I thought I'd be honest...

I have had zero issues with the Z as a unit. For instance I am still running the original 4gpm pump on the 2009. I work these machines hard and for the most part, they take anything I throw at them and chew it up.

To the OP
You gotta have the hose reel. I like the 100ft of 1/4inch hose best.
You're minor comment was just the straw that broke the camels back. No offense Ted.

I hear it all the time. Briggs sucks this Stratton sucks that.

I just replaced the stator and flywheel on my 2007 Max with the Kaw 15 HP motor and tada! It still doesn't charge. I don't even care. I have several high AH wheelchair batteries I run the thing with that last me days at a time. (My recommendation instead of stator replacements...F-That)

Other than that keeping the carb clean is a regular deal or the governor freezes up and some of the breather pilot holes in the car get clogged so gumout is my friend.

My 2007 has 3000 hours on it and looks brand new. Other than the wrinkled old style boom which is on my bench awaiting straightening.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I will 2nd the stator problem. I am in the process of replacing one now. But other than that all good.

Cadzilla,
Tell me more about the wheelchair batteries. Cost, how big are they & etc.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Heres a couple examples but these batteries are available in many sizes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INVACARE-AGM...item3f0ba02a30

http://www.batteriesplus.com/product...30/CMM630.aspx

Lawn batteries from what I can figure are usually around 15 AH batteries. These batteries are twice that which will give you a lot of extra power for running pumps. Still have to charge when needed.

I can't figure why mine isn't charging. I replaced the stator, flywheel and set the air gap as best as I could. Machine runs fine but I am only getting 2 to 3 volts AC out of the stator at 3000RPM. I should get ten times that.