Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-16-2013, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
After you've been in business for awhile and you get to be known as a legit company, most people aren't as leary as when your a new company. Suppling references helps a lot to.
I agree, but where I am there are a ton of lawn care/landscaping companies. I'm still discovering them all the time, companies that have been in operation for many years. There are some good sized ones that everyone has heard of, but they account for maybe 5% of the outfits here. I'm just saying that if I've never heard of many of them, chances are that customers haven't either.

Being responsive and acting in a professional manner goes a long way, even if you're new at this. I was in the business world before doing this and dealt with people far more "important" and wealthy than most of those I deal with now, so I come across pretty well. I used to bill out more in a year than I've billed out in the 11 years I've been doing this. Most of my clients were bankers, attorneys, investors and other successful businessmen. If you can walk the walk and talk the talk customers assume you're a legit professional and not some dirt bag with a pickup truck. A lot of it is just how you present yourself.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
I agree, but where I am there are a ton of lawn care/landscaping companies. I'm still discovering them all the time, companies that have been in operation for many years. There are some good sized ones that everyone has heard of, but they account for maybe 5% of the outfits here. I'm just saying that if I've never heard of many of them, chances are that customers haven't either.

Being responsive and acting in a professional manner goes a long way, even if you're new at this. I was in the business world before doing this and dealt with people far more "important" and wealthy than most of those I deal with now, so I come across pretty well. I used to bill out more in a year than I've billed out in the 11 years I've been doing this. Most of my clients were bankers, attorneys, investors and other successful businessmen. If you can walk the walk and talk the talk customers assume you're a legit professional and not some dirt bag with a pickup truck. A lot of it is just how you present yourself.
I've been saying this for a long time, image is everything, talk, look, act like a professional at all times, it's to your benefit. Just when I think I've seen all the LCO's in the area a new one pops up so I know what you mean.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
All of that is fine if you plan on staying solo, but if you want to grow and eventually have hundreds of accounts you'll have to put a billing system in place as well as a collection system, of which I did this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Then throw in a payroll, financed equipment and a revolving line of credit. Now you really better have your head screwed on straight. An accountant is a necessity and a huge assett, but doesn't mean you can turn your back for a minute.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hiring accountants when you are starting out, only have 12 lawns, no commercial lawns, will eat up a large chunk of the profits.

Go big when you are big. Until then best to keep things simple and change as your business changes.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
Hiring accountants when you are starting out, only have 12 lawns, no commercial lawns, will eat up a large chunk of the profits.

Go big when you are big. Until then best to keep things simple and change as your business changes.
I agree, I went from 10-12 to 40-50 last year alone, it was a huge jump, I felt it was time to get my act together. I put my collectons system in place two weeks ago, it has already yeilded one of the three non paying accounts I had last year.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

CC's are great IF you can get people to go that route.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I call shenanagans on anybody that says they have 100% acceptance of keeping a CC on file. Just doesn't happen with mowing customers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2013, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I call shenanagans on anybody that says they have 100% acceptance of keeping a CC on file. Just doesn't happen with mowing customers.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'd have to agree!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

All I want to know...where's Yardguy? He licks his chops for the billing topics.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm really hoping to see 75+ accounts this year, I'm going to investigate the CC thing at least have it as an option.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I am also 17. But i too went time of service but had some incidents with clients saying they paid when they missed a week or two making me lose $$$$. only happened once or twice but other than that my size of business roughly 15 neighborhood houses was the best way for me to go.