Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-17-2013, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

All trees in California are staked. It looks like their dog is destroying it.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
It looks like their dog is destroying it.
My boss said the same thing when I showed him the picture. Only problem with that is that they don't have a dog, and no stray dogs can get back there. She has a couple cats, but if her cats are damaging trees like that, then those cats need to be put down 'cause somethin aint right with those felines. Lol
Old 01-17-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can't tell if it's cracked from the pic, but I've seen this done in that situation. I'm no tree guy, but I've seen this work a few times. If it's cracked, stake and tie it straight as best as you can. Then drill a few holes through the trunk horizontally and use a few carriage bolts to pull the trunk back together. If all goes well, the tree will heal itself up and grow around the bolts, just like when a wire fence ends up being there so long the wire grows in to the tree. Or when you find a nail in the center of a piece of firewood. I've also seen people use that black goop stuff to "seal" the trees wound. Dunno if that's correct or not though. I hope my un-educated advice can help you in some way. But if you take my advice, and it doesn't work, blame Grandview, not me.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd just cut it down too. It doesn't belong there. It's probably leaning because of the fence...trying to get sunlight. It's against the building now and only gonna get bigger...KILL IT!!!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It ain't gonna get bigger at all... in fact, bring it down to half its canopy size... as scapers we're suppose to have solutions to everyone's situation... you don't have to be a "Tree Guy" to determine if this variety can endure severe pruning, then just do it...
Straightening and pruning is no big deal... we deal with snow damage situation every year, that are a lot worse than this... if you kill it,,, you have to have a viable alternative to what your gonna do there... that is a lousy location for anything to grow so take advantage of something that does well in that location...
Not to mention time and expense for the client, for years of possible problems as a result of shade...

Maybe some one was smart enough to put that tree there because in that part of the country its the ONLY thing that wil lgrow in such a LOUSY environment...

If something is tearing at the base, you can stake down chicken wire and mulch it...
Old 01-18-2013, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Nothing will change the fact that it's a poor location for any tree.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree that it is a poor location for anything to grow... but we have something growing, which is better than nothing growing...
It's a little less ugly with a well pruned tree there... IMO...
Old 01-18-2013, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm considering air flow too. Maybe it's not as much of a problem for the OPS location, but here in the Northeast you really don't want anything that close to a house (mold/mildew and rot concerns). So my opinion is based partly on it reducing air flow in location that already has limited air flow due to the fence.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Valid Point...
Old 01-18-2013, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Simply cut the crown down to half its current size and prune the side branches drastically as well... Its only too large if it isn't properly pruned... she has a tree that has outgrown the shade, between the house and the wooden fence... throwing it away becuz you don't feel like pruning is simply a waste...
What would you plant in a shady narrow spot like that , that doesn't need pruning???
We are in the habit of pruning lots of things on a regular basis because we don't have any perfect plants...
For once I disagree with you, at least in this situation.

I'd say cut it down.

Trees and shrubs are like children, you can fight all you want to try and shape them into what you want them to be, but in the end you just need to let them grow and become what they really want to be.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.