Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-16-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, so i don't understand why a stander hasn't been mentioned much? and why it isn't the hands down answer here...

i agree that ztr's are a little overkill, production wise and financially...but if you need them for bagging they are a must, like KL said there is nothing like a ultra-vac...we had a trac-vac on a walk behind but it just wasn't quite as good, it had an independent engine that you have to start and stop every time you were ready to, and it was one more engine to maintain and fuel...we keep a few exmark ztr's around strictly for bagging purposes (spring/fall)

i too had this question years ago but it was ZTR vs Stander, walk behind was never really in the equation...i didn't like how bulky the ztr's were on most of our residentials...i went with toro grandstands and couldn't be happier...next season we are most likely going to trade those in and go with the all new JD (wright) stander...
Old 01-16-2013, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

J-bell

I agree there is a place for standers--we demoed them along the way and agreed if we were mowing cookie cutter commercial properties I would add one to the fleet--but for residentials with mature landscapes we found that having the mower out front--like a walkbehind allowed us to get closer and save significant trimming time and labor.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm interested also about that price on the exmark s series?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2013, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I went from walkbehind to rider to walkbehind. Now I run walkbehinds 90% of the time. I only have 2 lawns bigger than 2 acres and I put the riderr on the trailer for that day, one is 12 acres and other is 5 acres. The added speed is a plus for those. All mowers are 60"ers.

For the rest of my lawns, no way in hell am I only using a rider. They are either too small or too many islands. We can wait on rain days and watch the rain. As soon as it stops we're out mowing. Guys with ztrs have to wait for the water to soak in. I can even mow right over standing water. The walbehinds with the proslide sulkeys just slide right over. Plus all the other added benefits.

One thing no one else has mentioned. They are half the price! Well, maybe 90% the cost of a ztr. So you can practicly buy 2 walkbehinds for the price of one rider. And they dont fall apart near as much.

And are you seriously bitching about making employees use walkbehinds. Grow up man. I stand behind my walkbehinds all day, and so do my other employees. Walkbehinds are the only way to go for small-med yards. They will work great for some and not so much for other. If you would rather sit you fat butt on a rider and screw up your customers small lawn, be my guest.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If I could have all 3... A WB, stander, and ZTR, I would. But I use what I got. For you guys with larger companies... How often do you cycle your equipment for new stuff? 5 years? Earlier?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-17-2013, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

All this talk about wet turf reminds me of the time I had to use a walkbehind to help pull a ZTR out of some soggy spring ground. lol
Old 01-17-2013, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay12 View Post
I'm interested also about that price on the exmark s series?
Posted via Mobile Device
It helps to buy a lot of equipment and be friends with an owner. This company tries their hardest to make sure employees are happy. We do a couple million a year. I'm probably leaving this company, but for other reasons not related.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-17-2013, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I dont think you know the true numbers. I dont care how many you buy they are not paying anywhere in the 5 thousand range for a rider.

I know fleet pricing, i know what these dealers pay for these mowers.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I also want to mention standers. I recently visited my ex mark dealer looking to purchase a 48 inch or 52 inch turf tracer. They cost around $ 6-7 grand. Then he showed me a demo unit. It was a exmark vantage 52 inch deck with the 26 hp kal only 25 hours. He is only asking $ 7200. A brand new Vantage is around $ 8,500. In this case does anyone think I would be better off purchasing the stander. ? He claims that the vantage is the best of both worlds.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

not entirely true.....