Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-15-2013, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Microsoft Expression Studio FREE

I just learned that you can download Microsoft Expression Studio for free it is Microsoft's version of Adobe Dreamweaver.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe Tony or someone else can weigh in, but I'm pretty sure Expression Web adds in a bunch of extraneous code. Not sure how big a deal that is, but that's what I recall being told when I was using it. If you go that direction, let me know - I have a book on using Expression Web that's yours if you'll cover the $2-3 for media mail to get it to you.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ya got me on this one, PaperCutter. Not sure if Greg did any .asp .net development, so maybe he'll way in with a word. I strictly use Sublime Text2 for creating, and Firebug for debugging. I bailed on Microsoft web products years ago when I no longer had to use a company-standard Visual Studio .NET back in the very early 2000s. As a WAG, I would imagine it has the usual code-gen issues found in wysiwyg tools, and would be of a benefit if you're primarily developing for asp.net, but that's just an educated, evolutionary guess.

As part of my Macromedia/Adobe Creative Studio upgrades, I've always had the current edition of Dreamweaver, but even that I haven't used in probably 4 years. Prior to that, I go back to the pre-Dreamweaver 1.0 days with Jeremy Allaire's HomeSite and Coldfusion. In internet years, I'm at least 114 years old. lol
Old 01-17-2013, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just gave it an install, and yep, MS pretty much built their own version of Dreamweaver, with many of the good features it has. For free this is pretty nice.

Link to it is on right side of this page: http://www.microsoft.com/expression/

Even if you work with the code itself (you should), it has really nice Syntax Coloring, Code suggestion (ie, type <a and hit space, it will suggest the attributes like href and such) This is also useful for working on .CSS files, when I started, having code hinting saved me a lot of lookup time for "what was the particular thing I wanted", just start typing and find it

Another nice feature if you are working with static sites (ie, not Wordpress), is that like Dreamweaver, it has a nice Site manager, so you can easily upload files that are changed to your server. Also it seems to support "templates" where you do the main layout as a template, and then makes pages that use it. The nice part is, when you update a template, it (if it behaves like DW) will go through an update all pages using that template, and on the individual pages you are locked down to only edit the parts you marked as editable in the master template.

One nice thing this does have that DW doesn't: Super Preview (it is a standalone program that installs). What this does is let you see how a site will look in different versions of Internet Explorer. You already cross check your sites between IE / Chrome / Firefox,... RIGHT??? Anyhow for those that do not know, each version of IE, while they were going from their own propriety methods of rendering, to what they use now, which is the web standards version, well each version of IE behaved differently. It is always best to check your site in the different versions of IE. This lets you view your site in IE6, IE7, IE8, IE8 with "compatibility mode" to mimic IE 7, and IE 9.

(you can ignore IE6, it is finally dead, those who still use it, well they are quite used to sites looking like "crap" to them)

Since I'm on the rant about cross checking your site, don't just view it in your computer, make sure to view in both Windows and MAC (hit your local library, they may have them for you to use if you don't have both or friends to cover both).

Lastly, on the realm of "Free Software", while they are older versions, there are still plenty of tutorials out there for them, and most features you'll probably use are in the older ones. Adobe has released FREE copies of their CS2 suite. http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

(No Dreamweaver, it wasn't included in CS till CS3, before that they were still doing the suite as they bought it from Macromedia)

-Greg
Old 01-17-2013, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

PS, this is not to be confused with older MS web builders, like Front Page, which it's code was comparable to going to a restaurant and finding out they dish up your plate from the crapper
Old 01-17-2013, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Wait, people actually use IE as a browser?

Maybe I was thinking of Front Page when it came to extraneous code. I will say that using Expressions is how I learned how to deal with CSS. When I moved to a Wordpress site I could actually (sort of) understand the back end. So that was nice.