Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-03-2012, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There are a couple things to take into consideration when purchasing a Skidsteer:

-What dealers are around that can service or repair your machine?
If you buy a Gehl and there dealer is 3 hours away and say Bobcat dealers wont work on those machines, thats going to be a hassle.
Find out where you can get the machine you wish to puchase repaired or maintained.

-Try to buy a Skidsteer with low hours. I personally wouldn't buy anything with over 3000 hours. They can be very exensive to fix.
We had a drive motor go out on our Bobcat T250 track loader, and that cost us $5,500.

-With a $10,000 budget I dont think you can buy a decent Track loader. Bobcat T-190's that are decent start at like $15k and if its for sale for $10k there has to be something wrong with it.

-But for the light work you will be doing almost any skidsteer will work.
New Holland,Gehl, Bobcat. They are all good skidsteers we just happen to buy Bobcats because the dealer is practically in my backyard, and IMO they are one of the best brands out there.
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I run johndeere. For 10 grand you need to rent. I just spent half that on tracks. And to the above post. I got 400 hrs on my last set of tracks. All depends on how much asphalt you are on. But remember this on owning a skid steer. Every time you get worked on. Plan on spending a few hundred dollars. If you rent it and it breaks they fix it.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Here's my opinion....First off, how many calls are you actually getting and more importantly how many jobs have you landed. If your only talking a few here and there then rent one until you have consistent work for it and by consistent work I mean actually using it a bunch of times a season. For 10k your probably going to find something very old and in the 50'ish horse power range but old doesn't mean bad all the time, these things are made to run a long time if cared for. Ours is a 99 (I think) New Holland LX665 turbo and so far we've put about 3k into it but its made me 20 times that back! Just be prepared, when things break they can get very expensive. I dont like BobCats, I think they are too short and bounce everywhere, CAT's are pricey no matter their age, Case, NewHolland and JD seem to be work horses and keep running and can usually find them and parts for them relatively easy. Check in your area to see what dealers you have close by, there's no sense buying a NH or Case if there's no dealer close by or at least check with them to see if they can or would be willing to work on another brand. I've taken my NH to the BobCat dealer many times.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 01-17-2013, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

i highly recommend the ASV/Terex line of skid steers, they have the lowest ground pressure and are incredibly easy to get used to, we have two of them, a older ASV RC30 and the new terex version (terex bought out ASV) both are 30 horse power and run amazing. we can spread a tandem tandem load of topsoil in 20 min tops with one machine, they work amazing, put 300 hours on the new one last summer and never had any problems with it