Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-14-2013, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

GeoTea Sprayer Pictures

Hey Everyone,

I've talked to Bob Posthuma (owner of Greater Earth Organics) and he was telling me about his new compost tea sprayers that are coming out this Spring. He makes the GeoTea (250 gallon compost tea machine) that a few people own here on Lawnsite. So here's a few pictures of his units.

Bob said that they should be up on his website very soon.

http://www.greaterearthorganics.com/

For the 4 Wheel Tote Sprayer:

The total price for the 4 wheel cart is $5250. That includes the sprayer with 200’ of ½” hose and the 25’ wide boomless nozzle with a manual
control for the nozzle. An electric solenoid valve to control the boomless nozzle is available for $250 more.
Attached Images

2011 John Deere Pro Gator 2020a
2011 Lawn Solution Dual Hyrdo Aerator 24"
2011 Echo Handheld (trimmers to power pruners)
2007 Big Tex 4ft metal high side 7' x 12' Trailer
2012 PJ 7' x 16' Dump Trailer
2014 Vintage 8.5' x 24' Enclosed Trailer
2012 Ecolawn Applicator model 200 Compost Spreader
Old 01-15-2013, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

that is sweet
Old 01-18-2013, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here a 110 gallon compost tea utv sprayer Bob also makes. Not sure on the price? But it look well built.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2013, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick13 View Post
Here a 110 gallon compost tea utv sprayer Bob also makes. Not sure on the price? But it look well built.
What did I tell you in the other thread about using a JD Gator and I recommended the Kubota?
Old 01-19-2013, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

NattyLawn, you were talking about a gas Gator (not sure what size engine it had) but when you would step on the gas, it would start slow and then it would "kick in" and you thought you could or would (not sure on that part) but you could tear up a customer's yard.?.?

You thought "maybe" a diesel wouldn't do the "kick in to gear" thing...right?

What size engine was your Gator? Model? Year?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Member

geo tea

excuse my ignorance, I havn't fully researched geotea or compost tea, but from what i've read the tea needs a "fermentation" period for the microbes to spread and then theres the chlorine issue. One source I read said the rate for compost tea was around 150gal/.5acre. thats a ton of materail to apply on a commercial scale or even residential. The tank in the truck looks like a 250gal one, which wouldn't last long at all. I'm all for greener ways of doing things, but this seems like it would be a huge inconvenience.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nope, fallingaway24... all questions are good! That way everyone can learn from others and different examples out in the field. I know that I'm still learning and other members will chime in with their opinions/facts.

1st off, organic compost should be diluted. You can go one part organic compost tea to one part water. Or one part organic compost tea to 2 parts water. I've even heard of one part organic compost tea to 10 parts water.

I would start heavy, to get the microorganisms thriving in the soil. You need results, so it might cut into some of your profits. As in spraying more material to show results to keep your new organic customer happy. It all comes down to them wanting their yard to look better then their neighbors.

The microorganisms need water to survive and attach themselves to plants, yards, trees, bushes, and gardens.

You can never spray too much organic compost tea to hurt any plants.

Some people put 5 gallons of compost tea per acre. And I think you can run this once a yard is in it's end of 2 year to 3 year of organic yard care system. I personal don't think people are happy with a guy running through their yard and then leaving a nice bill for $60 or higher $$$ saying we will see you next month, and oh yeah, if I missed something, call me, so I can fix it. It shows they are all about the money and seeing how cheap they can do a job for. Its not everyone out there, but there are quite a few.

I will be spraying very heavy, at 1 gallon per 1000 sq feet. So for an acre I will be using 43 to 45 gallons.

But each yard is different, so you can't say this rate works for every yard.

For organic yard care to work....it usually takes 3 years. In fact, the 1st year, the customer's yard might not look as good as previous years. It takes time for a yard to change from a synthetic program.

But in the 2nd year, a significant saving will occur since less fertilizer will be need to maintain a high quality turf growing on a biologically active and healthy soil.

You will also need to still reseed and core aerate their yards, but this will improve the soil, roots system, and overall health of the yard.

SPRAYING SCENARIOS - COMPOST TEA APPLICATION

Warm season grasses apply in April, May, June, August - Foliage application

Cool season grasses apply in March, June, September, October - Foliage application

Shrubs and trees April, July, September - Soil application

Gardens and Roses monthly April through October - Foliage and soil application

Yep, no chlorine in the water. You will have to buy a filter system to remove the chlorine. Plus get a digital chlorine tester....this way you can check the water before you start brewing your compost tea. If you are using city water.

And get your compost tea tested after your brewing. So you can show your customer your test results. It shows that you are putting something good in their yard and not just dirty water. It will give you a better customer relationship and it will show the customer you know what you're talking about.

I guess the biggest thing is to come up with a plan on how you want to run your organic yard care system. Every yard is different so you have to work with the customer telling them what your goal is for their yard. And figure out your prices and if your are higher, then explain that you are doing more work, a better job, and in the long run, they will be happier with your custom 1st class service your provide.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick13 View Post
Nope, fallingaway24... all questions are good! That way everyone can learn from others and different examples out in the field. I know that I'm still learning and other members will chime in with their opinions/facts.

1st off, organic compost should be diluted. You can go one part organic compost tea to one part water. Or one part organic compost tea to 2 parts water. I've even heard of one part organic compost tea to 10 parts water.

I would start heavy, to get the microorganisms thriving in the soil. You need results, so it might cut into some of your profits. As in spraying more material to show results to keep your new organic customer happy. It all comes down to them wanting their yard to look better then their neighbors.

The microorganisms need water to survive and attach themselves to plants, yards, trees, bushes, and gardens.

You can never spray too much organic compost tea to hurt any plants.

Some people put 5 gallons of compost tea per acre. And I think you can run this once a yard is in it's end of 2 year to 3 year of organic yard care system. I personal don't think people are happy with a guy running through their yard and then leaving a nice bill for $60 or higher $$$ saying we will see you next month, and oh yeah, if I missed something, call me, so I can fix it. It shows they are all about the money and seeing how cheap they can do a job for. Its not everyone out there, but there are quite a few.

I will be spraying very heavy, at 1 gallon per 1000 sq feet. So for an acre I will be using 43 to 45 gallons.

But each yard is different, so you can't say this rate works for every yard.

For organic yard care to work....it usually takes 3 years. In fact, the 1st year, the customer's yard might not look as good as previous years. It takes time for a yard to change from a synthetic program.

But in the 2nd year, a significant saving will occur since less fertilizer will be need to maintain a high quality turf growing on a biologically active and healthy soil.

You will also need to still reseed and core aerate their yards, but this will improve the soil, roots system, and overall health of the yard.

SPRAYING SCENARIOS - COMPOST TEA APPLICATION

Warm season grasses apply in April, May, June, August - Foliage application

Cool season grasses apply in March, June, September, October - Foliage application

Shrubs and trees April, July, September - Soil application

Gardens and Roses monthly April through October - Foliage and soil application

Yep, no chlorine in the water. You will have to buy a filter system to remove the chlorine. Plus get a digital chlorine tester....this way you can check the water before you start brewing your compost tea. If you are using city water.

And get your compost tea tested after your brewing. So you can show your customer your test results. It shows that you are putting something good in their yard and not just dirty water. It will give you a better customer relationship and it will show the customer you know what you're talking about.

I guess the biggest thing is to come up with a plan on how you want to run your organic yard care system. Every yard is different so you have to work with the customer telling them what your goal is for their yard. And figure out your prices and if your are higher, then explain that you are doing more work, a better job, and in the long run, they will be happier with your custom 1st class service your provide.
Good info...looking at doing this kn a ,large commercial property
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 02-06-2013, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic