Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2013, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

re-plumbing TG truck

I just purchased a TG truck and it is all in working order...just the plumbing is not set up the way I want it and I was hoping for a little help as I have never had the pleasure of working with a multi tank/multi pump system before.

Let me know what information would be helpful beyond the following.

It has (2) 300 gal tanks
1 - 200 gallon tank
2 PTO hydracell 25 pumps
3 hose reels.

I am looking to be able to run all 3 tanks off one hose reel and one pump. The reason is I would like to carry 600 gallons of clean water and mix into the 200 gallon tank as needed. So I need all the tanks to be able to transfer water between them.

I am also hoping to be able to utilize the 2nd pump and one of the other hose reels to run all three tanks as well.

Maybe to complicated with valves etc to do the above but was hoping someone on here had experience with this set up before.
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2013, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i've used this type of setup when i was at trugreen long ago.. i don't remember there ever being a fast way to transfer between the tanks though.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Not necessarily looking for a fast way to transfer. Just some insight on how the best/safest/most enconomical way to set it up so I have the ability to transfer and not lose the convenience of having the 2nd pump on the truck.

I want to be able to transfer into the 200 gal tank with fresh water when we are doing IPM treatments and might only need to mix up 40-50 gallons at a time.

I had thought about adding a small 50 gallon tank but thought it would end up being more of a headache to plumb and valve than it was worth.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Divert the recycle line to go from the storage tank to the tank or tanks you want to fill. You can do it with some ball valves.

Some tru green hippos have this, some don't.

I never liked transferring between tanks this way. It can get really confusing and you have enough valves to deal with. I like to go old school and just pull from one and stick my gun in the other.

Nice looking setup. Those hippos are bulletproof tanks but very maneuverable.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think I may be overthinking this.

Cadzilla. This truck's plumbing is so screwy right now I am redoing the whole thing, I guess I am trying to hard to take advantage of the 2 pumps...I was trying to make it so that we could do everything from the valve assy as climbing into this truck can cause claustrophobia. It is a touch tight when your over 6' tall and over 200 lbs...both myself and my tree tech had a hard time getting between the tanks and the side of the truck...

I dont think this truck is set up to open the suction valve from one tank and the return valve on another tank to move water. It is below freezing and the truck is drained so I dont want to add water and screw up a $2500 pump.

I am thinking I might set it up the way it was probably originally meant to be. each hose real runs off its own tank with one pump running a 300 gal tank and the 2nd pump running the 2nd 300 and the 200. I would love to have each pump run all three tanks independently but I dont think I would want to see the road map that would be needed to keep up with all the valves that it would take to make that happen.

If the pumps run 20gpm it wouldnt take long to transfer water if I needed to thru the hose reel to another tank as was suggested. This is how we do it with our current set up anyway.

If I put swivels on all hose fittings and quick connects on the guns, it wont be a headache to swap things out if needed.

I was hoping someone might have a better way to skin this cat but I guess unless I get one custom built ..and this truck was a fraction of what a new one would go for so I will just keep it simple it sounds like.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your missing a pump, the D10.

It's going to be tricky to do what your looking for. I have 3 of these trucks. I'm too lazy to type my suggestion so send me a pm and we can talk.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2013, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Unreal--seems highly complicated. And there is a risk of cross contamination if you pull from one tank and run the pressure bypass to a different tank.
Suggestion to put the gun in the tank you want to fill is probably good. However remember even a 20 gal per minute pump will put out more like 5 gals per minute due to restriction of the half-inch hose and the friction loss due to the 300 foot hose.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a huge mess.. this is how I would do it..

I would keep 1 300 gallon tank on a separate pump and hose reel.. totally isolated..

I would use a T and 2 ball valves on the suction side of the 200 and other 300 so you can suck from either tank.. also do this with the return sides too so u can return to either tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2013, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfWerks View Post
Sounds like a huge mess.. this is how I would do it..

I would keep 1 300 gallon tank on a separate pump and hose reel.. totally isolated..

I would use a T and 2 ball valves on the suction side of the 200 and other 300 so you can suck from either tank.. also do this with the return sides too so u can return to either tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly what I suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Unreal--seems highly complicated. And there is a risk of cross contamination if you pull from one tank and run the pressure bypass to a different tank.

Precisely why I never do it.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea cadzilla I didn't read everything I'm on my phone.. but that's imo the easiest way.. or picking up a few 3 way ball valves.. I have replumbed several Fairway Lawns trucks when I worked there and worked on a truck my last employers ordered from Rush out of Florida.. they can be fun.. lol.
Posted via Mobile Device