Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-17-2013, 02:32 PM
LawnSite Member

How many applications do you do

We are trying to revamp our standard program a bit on our Lawn care accounts. Right now we usally do 6 visits a season. I dont feel that is enough to really service the accounts properly and was wondering how many times you visit you properties throughout the season.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct-vt lawnguy View Post
We are trying to revamp our standard program a bit on our Lawn care accounts. Right now we usally do 6 visits a season. I dont feel that is enough to really service the accounts properly and was wondering how many times you visit you properties throughout the season.
If you really want to learn organic systems, take this course in Norwich, CT in Feb. http://www.organiclandcare.net/educa...itation-course

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-18-2013, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think it would be more profitable to know 'Why' 6 visits are not enough... "Organics" isn't about soils anymore, but rather different and more expensive applications...
If cool-season grasses can't be made perfect with 6 apps of anything, then you would be much further ahead to do something about the soil... Grass is soooooo simple to grow that its biggest impediment is 'Our Wisdom' in cultural practices...
A thoughtful review of your soil texture and soil structure will tell you more that any particular application in the world, BECAUSE, those apps are USELESS on bad soils... and you haven't told us whether you have bad soil texture or bad soil structure so there is really no way to evaluate whether you need 6 more apps of something else to do in a 6 months growing season...
Old 01-18-2013, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

we do 6 apps a season.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I think it would be more profitable to know 'Why' 6 visits are not enough... "Organics" isn't about soils anymore, but rather different and more expensive applications...
If cool-season grasses can't be made perfect with 6 apps of anything, then you would be much further ahead to do something about the soil... Grass is soooooo simple to grow that its biggest impediment is 'Our Wisdom' in cultural practices...
A thoughtful review of your soil texture and soil structure will tell you more that any particular application in the world, BECAUSE, those apps are USELESS on bad soils... and you haven't told us whether you have bad soil texture or bad soil structure so there is really no way to evaluate whether you need 6 more apps of something else to do in a 6 months growing season...
Thanks for saying it for me. Jeez, people just don't get it. I'm currently bickering with a customer that wants 8 applications this year because "that's what her last guy used to do and it looked great." She wanted me to put down 46-0-0 right now to stay on track with what the old guy was doing. I refused.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Time to do some organic compost spreading!!! Improves soil structure!!!
Attached Images

2011 John Deere Pro Gator 2020a
2011 Lawn Solution Dual Hyrdo Aerator 24"
2011 Echo Handheld (trimmers to power pruners)
2007 Big Tex 4ft metal high side 7' x 12' Trailer
2012 PJ 7' x 16' Dump Trailer
2014 Vintage 8.5' x 24' Enclosed Trailer
2012 Ecolawn Applicator model 200 Compost Spreader
Old 01-18-2013, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick13 View Post
Time to do some organic compost spreading!!! Improves soil structure!!!
That's what I'm taking about! Man I need one of those!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2013, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
The foundation of organic lawn care is soil health. Why would you say such a thing?

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-19-2013, 06:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
The foundation of organic lawn care is soil health. Why would you say such a thing?
I recognize that , that is what it is supposed to be all about, but in reality, it has no more understanding of how microbes live in the soil environments than the synthetic fertilizer crowd... the Sumagreen discussion convinced me that understanding microbes is about a superficial and understanding sunshine...
If you have something to offer in regards to Long Term benefits of CT,,,I'd like to hear it... but as it stands right now those microbes will die and their dead bodies, feed the grass... no long term nutrient cycling is even discussed...
Same ol' cliches of "Proper Irrigation and Cultural Practices" that the synthetic people use... That's a generic cliche that has no real meaning,,, but that is all we hear....

Prove me wrong... I would love to be proven wrong so that we can move beyond superficial, soils 101 mentality...
Old 01-19-2013, 06:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I meant to say... "about as superficial as understanding sunshine"... sorry for the poor wording...