Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2013, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It prolly never had any liquid in it. Looks like the factory used a type of grease. Could be "Bentonite" grease, like in Peerless crashboxes.

I would use "0" moly grease, or mix your own using moly paste ( assembly lube) and "0" or "00" grease. #1 will work also.

......AMF!
Old 01-18-2013, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ed, the transmission never used a flowable oil.

Fish is correct--you will find that the Snapper manual will indicate the use of 00 grease. I'm not inclined to pay John Deere prices normally, but you will likely find their price cheaper than you will pay at a Snapper dealer. The JD 00 grease will be classified as "cornhead grease" for headers on combines in the from of a normal grease gun tube.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
It prolly never had any liquid in it. Looks like the factory used a type of grease. Could be "Bentonite" grease, like in Peerless crashboxes.

I would use "0" moly grease, or mix your own using moly paste ( assembly lube) and "0" or "00" grease. #1 will work also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch1 View Post
Ed, the transmission never used a flowable oil.

Fish is correct--you will find that the Snapper manual will indicate the use of 00 grease. I'm not inclined to pay John Deere prices normally, but you will likely find their price cheaper than you will pay at a Snapper dealer. The JD 00 grease will be classified as "cornhead grease" for headers on combines in the from of a normal grease gun tube.
Thanks I had a tube of 00 grease I got from Rotary a few years back so I put some of that in. There is a big label saying don't overfill.