Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-14-2013, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Member

One More Time

My name is Arlie Souther live in the Mtns of NC, In high schools a few friends and myself ran a medium sized lawn care business with borrowed commercial equipment as we graduated we had to disband the company do to others going there own way thats been almost 10 years ago now. With that I've had a lot of old customers contact to see if we were back in business (at the time we were not) so while being deployed overseas I now have the revinue to start another small lawn company with all new equipment. So once again I'm going to try to have my own small business, with the thought of great lawn care at an affordable price. Any advice on the current industry would be greatly appreciated. We'll be doing business as Souther Lawn Care & Creations
Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome and congrats Arlie. Plenty of great advice here on the forum. Good Luck and thanks for your service!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Member

As I have seen in last little while there is great info on here
Old 01-19-2013, 03:19 AM
LawnSite Member

So after much searching on walk behind mowers, I have decided on a brand new Hustler Trimstar 48" got it for $5150 out the door taxes and all. ( thinking this was a good price ) Thinking for now I'll start my fleet with a walk behind mower, Stihl blower and Shindawa weedeater ( Haven't decided on models yet any input?), and my other mower that is a Husqvarna 52" rider (not zero turn) which is a heavy duty mower has fab deck and designed to mower 5+ acres per day. Also undecided on a 6x12 open trailer was thinking of borrowing my brother-in-laws (he rarely uses) only needs new fenders and jack vs. speeding 1500 on an Anderson brand of the same size. Any thoughts greatly appreciated
Old 01-19-2013, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Might be better to start a new post in the starting and growing a lawn care business forum. You will get more responses there than here on the introduction forum.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info will do
Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerlawn View Post
So after much searching on walk behind mowers, I have decided on a brand new Hustler Trimstar 48" got it for $5150 out the door taxes and all. ( thinking this was a good price ) Thinking for now I'll start my fleet with a walk behind mower, Stihl blower and Shindawa weedeater ( Haven't decided on models yet any input?), and my other mower that is a Husqvarna 52" rider (not zero turn) which is a heavy duty mower has fab deck and designed to mower 5+ acres per day. Also undecided on a 6x12 open trailer was thinking of borrowing my brother-in-laws (he rarely uses) only needs new fenders and jack vs. speeding 1500 on an Anderson brand of the same size. Any thoughts greatly appreciated
Being in the mountains need to remember what ever type trailer you use, be sure that it never out-weighs the vehicle pulling it. From personal experience driving on flat land, I would venture into a dual axle, with electric brakes on both axles. When you get in dire need of braking, (idiots on these "Fast N Furious" cars locking up in front of you),,,you will need all the breaking you can get. personally, after 5 years and several vehicle/ trialer combinations, I have switched to a 2007 GMC 16ft box truck. NO trailer. best move I have ever made.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Weight has been taken into consideration will still be under the weight for towing vehicle and under max weight for trailer, hadn't thought about the brakes but yet another positive of using the borrowed trailer it does have brakes

Thanks for the input
Old 01-27-2013, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Southerlawn, I retired from the Army a couple of years ago and started my lawn services business and found that the guys on this forum are very helpful and full of knowledge, just remember to ask specific questions with detailed information and utilize the advice that best suits your situation and location. Welcome to the forum!

Complete Property Grounds Maintenance

Text "LawnGuy" to 90210 on your mobile device.
http://bit.ly/1hlyHM7